Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DerekTrujillo
Frequent Visitor

Data - JSON - Lists - Records

I have an issue that seems really similar to others, but I can't seem to get to the results I want.

I am trying to create a Power BI report based on data in a Sharepoint List.  The data is timesheet information: Employee, approver, time period, number of hours...etc. 

I am able to pull in the data, but it appears the details are in a JSON field - I was able to parse the JSON, but the result is now a 'List' and my options are to Expand to New Rows or Extract Values:Image 1Image 1

If I expand to New Rows – I now have two rows with duplicated data. Except the TimeSheetJSON field now has a type of ‘Record’ and my options there are Expand to New Rows or Extract Values:The values here are: 1 – 7 (These are the day number of the week that contain the hours for each day). Ideally these would be dates (I can derive this as there is a week-starting date) The remaining 7 fields are information about the hours – which projects and category they are associated with and if they are billable hours…etc.) I would need all of these fields available. Image 2Image 2

What I need to get to is a point where I can retrieve all the data in a meaningful way Seems parent-child / header-detail method would work – if there were a ‘key’ on the detailed record/list.  Something like this (?):
Header:
Record ID | Employee Name | Supervisor Name | Timesheet Status | Total Hours | …
Detail:
Parent Record ID | Work Date | Project | Hours | …

I can SEE the data I need, but want to get this data into a format where I can report on it and to ensure this is repeatable for other timesheets that come in.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DerekTrujillo ,

Choose that list column, click "To table" butter under transform tab.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think the problem is that there are more than one record in the list and even if I save them as a table - I loose any key attributes to join back to the original data.  This also needs to be on-going / repeatable for other data coming in.  Sometimes there will be 2 records in the list, sometimes 5, sometimes 3...etc. 

Hi,

Any updates on this? Could you deal with this problem?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.