Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mostof
Regular Visitor

Custom column based on slicer values

Hello,

I'm new to PowerBI and hope someone can help me with this elementary issue.

I have two tables: Users and Computers with a 1:N relationship. Computers table contains a "Purpose" column. I want a column in the Users table that show how many computers in the "Computer" table are within the purpose selection based on a multi-value slicer. I created a table one-column called PC Purpose that contains all the different purposes a computer can have and the slicer is based on that table. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The selections in the slicer doesn't affect a calculated column. As with calculated table, it gets updated only when:

• The related tables are refreshed
  • Upon creation
  • When the formula is updated.

Instead of calculated column use a measure.

PC Count = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( Computers ),
    FILTER ( Computers, Computers[PC_Purpose] IN VALUES ( PCPurpose[PC Purpose] ) )
)

The measure above will return the same result whether there is a relationship or not between PCPurpose and Computers tables. If there is an existing relationship, you cause simply COUNTROWS the Computers table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mostof
Regular Visitor

Thank you, I'll give it a try!

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @mostof ,

If you want to affect calculated table based on the slicers selection, that is not possible. While you can use a measure to create a table, the tables are updated only upon data refresh, when editing the formula table or the first you create it. If that is not the case, please provide a sample data (which can be copy-pasted) and your expected result so it will be easier for anyone to provide you with an answer.  Here's how you can get a faster response - https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/td-p/144... 

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hi @danextian ,

Thanks for your reply. This is what my data looks like:

Computers table:

UserNamePC_IDPC_Purpose
UserAPC1Principal Use
UserAPC2Secondary Office
UserBPC3Principal Use
UserCPC4Dedicated Tool
UserDPC5Kiosk

Users table:

UserNameFirstNameLastNamePCCount (Calculated Column)
UserAUserA2
UserBUserB1
UserCUserC0
UserDUserD0

Relationship between Computers and Users is 1 to many.

The table I created for the slicer is called PCPurpose:

PCPurpose

PC Purpose
Dedicated Tool
Field Use
Kiosk
Lab
Principal Use
Reception
Secondary Office
Shared
Training

The formula I came up with, which doesn't work, is:

PCCount =
VAR SelectedPCPurpose = ALLSELECTED(PCPurpose[PC Purpose])
RETURN
COUNTROWS(FILTER(RELATEDTABLE(Computers),Computers[PC_Purpose] IN SelectedPCPurpose))

The selections in the slicer doesn't affect a calculated column. As with calculated table, it gets updated only when:

• The related tables are refreshed
  • Upon creation
  • When the formula is updated.

Instead of calculated column use a measure.

PC Count = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( Computers ),
    FILTER ( Computers, Computers[PC_Purpose] IN VALUES ( PCPurpose[PC Purpose] ) )
)

The measure above will return the same result whether there is a relationship or not between PCPurpose and Computers tables. If there is an existing relationship, you cause simply COUNTROWS the Computers table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.