Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tobias106
Helper I
Helper I

Cumulative sum in a year per month

Hello everbody,

I have data per month from 2017 - now.

I want to show a cumulated line per month for e.g. 2021.

So in the x-axis are the month, FEB yhould be JAN + Februar for 2021 and so on.

How can I do this per DAX formula?

Thank you 🙂

Regards Tobias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tobias106 ,

This is my test table:

vyadongfmsft_0-1665471927728.png

Please create a new column:

Cumulative sum in a year per month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Sales] <= EARLIER('Table'[Sales]) && 'Table'[Year] = EARLIER('Table'[Year])))

You can calculate the cumulative sum in a year per month:

vyadongfmsft_1-1665472005997.png

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tobias106 ,

This is my test table:

vyadongfmsft_0-1665471927728.png

Please create a new column:

Cumulative sum in a year per month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Sales] <= EARLIER('Table'[Sales]) && 'Table'[Year] = EARLIER('Table'[Year])))

You can calculate the cumulative sum in a year per month:

vyadongfmsft_1-1665472005997.png

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yadongf-msft @ Thank you very much for this simple and awesome code, that helps a lot :-).

One additional question. Beside the year and month I also have the date in the table, which can occure more than once.

Therefore I used your code and changed the year to the date:

Cumulative sum in a year per month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Sales]),FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Sales] <= EARLIER('Table'[Sales]) && 'Table'[Date] = EARLIER('Table'[Date])))

But due to to topic that I have sometime the same date 2-3 times (or more), it cumulates in the following way:

Example:

dateSales**bleep** Sales

Power Bi shows it now as one date an so 01.01.2022 is 10+22+36 = 68, which is of course wrong.

Which I need - If the same date is more than once, than it should only cumulate in the last date-line, so the following should be:

dateSales**bleep** Sales

Can you please help me again :)?

Hi,

Please share some data (in format that can be pasted in an MS Excel file) and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi  @Tobias106 ,

You need to create some additional columns.

This is my test table:

vyadongfmsft_1-1665538439744.png

First, add an index column in Power Query:

vyadongfmsft_0-1665538397506.png

vyadongfmsft_2-1665538496719.png

Create a new column to count the number of occurrences of each date:

Count = CALCULATE(COUNT('data2'[Date]),FILTER('data2','data2'[Date] = EARLIER('data2'[Date]) && 'data2'[Index] <= EARLIER('data2'[Index])))

vyadongfmsft_3-1665538667958.png

The result you want:

Cumulative sum in a year per month = 
var sumsales = CALCULATE(SUM('data2'[Sales]),FILTER('data2','data2'[Sales] <= EARLIER('data2'[Sales])))
return
IF('data2'[Count] = MAXX(FILTER('data2','data2'[Date] = EARLIER('data2'[Date])),'data2'[Count]),sumsales)

vyadongfmsft_4-1665538707462.png

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Tobias106 , Either you need have month in YYYYMM format, Make sure you create a month year table , with YYYYMM, Month , Year 

or if you date will do

Cumm Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(all('Date'),'Date'[date] <=max('Date'[date])))

or

Cumm Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected('Date'),'Date'[date] <=max('Date'[date])))

or

Cumm Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(all('Month'),'Month'[YearMonth] <=max('Month'[YearMonth])))

or

Cumm Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(allselected('Month'),'Month'[YearMonth] <=max('Month'[YearMonth])))

Rolling Months Formula: https://youtu.be/GS5O4G81fww

@amitchandak 

Thank you!

But as I understand, I get with your formulas the cumulative sum till the max Date I choose ("<=max('Month'[YearMonth])))").

But I need January 2021 till December 2021, for example.

And after I that I want to create a cumulative line with JAN 2020 - DEC 2020, and so on.

Do you have an idea :-)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.