Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative Counts

Hello,

I am dealing with a dataset for a hotel and I am trying to create a graph that shows the ramp up of reservations made for a certain date (usually a holiday). 

I have created a measure (Cumulative_Count) that is supposed to count the number of cumulative reservations prior to a set date. For example, as of 6/30/19, how many reservations do I have for 7/04/19. As of now I can not get the measure to "ramp" up to the total count, it is just showing me the grand total of reservations for the target date and resulting in a flat line. I have read many threads on this topic but can not get it to work. 

I have created a sample pbix file with the measure as well as a example excel document to show the expected result. They can be downloaded at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y0lvjyzcnq7iygz/AABedKjIVopWFsaHLhW9r9a4a?dl=0

Any help is much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lc_finance
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

HI @Anonymous ,

You can download my proposed solution from here.

Here is the DAX formula I propose for it:

Cumulative_Count 2 = 
var currentDate = MAX('Reservations'[res_created_at_date])

return CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Reservations','Reservations'[res_created_at_date]<=currentDate)), ALL('Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Month], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[MonthNo], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Day]))

Let me know if that works for you.

LC

Interested in Power BI and DAX templates? Check out my blog at www.finance-bi.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lc_finance
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

HI @Anonymous ,

You can download my proposed solution from here.

Here is the DAX formula I propose for it:

Cumulative_Count 2 = 
var currentDate = MAX('Reservations'[res_created_at_date])

return CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Reservations','Reservations'[res_created_at_date]<=currentDate)), ALL('Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Month], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[MonthNo], 'Reservations'[res_created_at_date].[Day]))

Let me know if that works for you.

LC

Interested in Power BI and DAX templates? Check out my blog at www.finance-bi.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @lc_finance,

Yes, that formula does appear to work. Can you expand on why you used the [.Month], [.Day] tags after the columns name. Normally I only need to name the column and do not need to specify those items. Could this be why my graph does not act like other I have used? Normally I can see everyday when I move my mouse over a graph and click on the specific day to drill down. The chart in your example appears to only be able to do months. 

Thank you for the continued help. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

The need for specifying [.Month], [.Day] is because Power BI 'derives' multiple columns from a Date column.

These 'derived' columns are Month, Day, Year, Quarter, etc. These additional columns allow you to filter by days, month, quarter, etc when you have a Date column.

Now back to your request: as you want to show all reservations made prior to a certain date, I had to remove the filter on Dates.

If I did not remove the filter on Dates, you would see on June 15 only reservation made on June 15, on June 16 only reservation made on the 16, etc. I removed them using ALL, and I had to apply ALL to the different 'derived' columns as above.

Does this help you?

LC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @lc_finance. Yes that helps. I did not know that about the column treatment for dates. So how would go about having a graph like the below which allows me to mouse over specific calender days to see the metrics. The x-axis still shows months and years, but I can also mouse over specific days. My current graph works different. I can only have month, quarters, days, but not all at once, which causes the graph to not be very flexible.  

Thank you again for your help. 

screenshot.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the late reply, and I am glad that it helped you.

The chart in your screenshot is from Power BI? If yes, can you share a sample of it?

I will be happy to look into that for you,

LC

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.