Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

phjz
Frequent Visitor

Creating a measure that takes the average for future events

Hey guys,

I have no clue what to do here:

I have a table which calculates the average amount of sales by month, hour, category and title like this:

Month nameHourCategoryTitleAvg. Am. Sales
February131A1
February191B2
February171C2
February141A1
March132A1

The measure "average amount of sales" refers to a column in a table and is defined as:

Average amount of sales =CALCULATE(AVERAGE(SALES[SALES]),ALL(Calendar[Date]))

So far so good. But now I want to use these averages as a forecast for future dates (incl. time). I created a table like this:

Date+TimeCategoryTitleForecast Am. Sales
10.02.2024 13:301A1
27.03.2023 13:452B1
01.02.2023 17:011C2

So, when I put in the measure, it deletes all future entries and does only show sales of the past.

For sure, this is exactly what is meant to happen, but I have absolutely no idea how to create a new measure that calculates an average for past amount sales and uses it as a forecast for a future date and time.

Could you help me out here? Thanks a lot! 

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

But now I want to use these averages as a forecast for future dates (incl. time)

Which forecast methodology are you planning to apply?  Do you care about seasonality? Do you care about weekdays/workdays/holidays? DST?

phjz
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply. I think that sounds really interesting and I would try if this makes sense for my model. But as I even fail with just averages for future dates I thought that would be the first step of understanding.

In the meantime I tried a few more measures and when I refer to columns like Date+Time (like ALL(SALES[Date+Time])) it creates Dates in the future that weren't in the original table... I think this ALL-function doesn't work for me here...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.