Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pxb015
Frequent Visitor

Create a custom table duplicating rows from another table based on the other table's headers

Hi, I'm asking for help creating a custom table which creates multiple rows out of each original row in my PowerBI dataset. Please excuse me if this has already been answered.

The scenario:

I imported an excel file into my project with this table (let's name it "Customers"):

CustomerBoughtInStoreBoughtOnlineBoughtByReferral
BobYY 
JaneYYY
JennyY  

Without leaving PowerBI and creating external excel files, I want to create a new query or table (not a measure) in my project which looks like this:

CustomerStage
BobBoughtInStore
BobBoughtOnline
JaneBoughtInStore
JaneBoughtOnline
JaneBoughtByReferral
JennyBoughtInStore

My new table will create a row for each customer and for each stage that they've been marked in the original Customers tables.

How can I acheve this?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@pxb015 this can be easily achieved using the "Unpivot" transformation in Power Query.

After importing your table, select the "Customer" column, and from the Transform tab, select "Unpivot Columns" >> "Unpivot Other Columns".

ebeery_0-1653356150645.png

Then, filter the "Value" column to keep only "Y", and finally, remove the Value column.

ebeery_1-1653356199111.png

ebeery_3-1653356211958.png

ebeery_4-1653356223016.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@pxb015 this can be easily achieved using the "Unpivot" transformation in Power Query.

After importing your table, select the "Customer" column, and from the Transform tab, select "Unpivot Columns" >> "Unpivot Other Columns".

ebeery_0-1653356150645.png

Then, filter the "Value" column to keep only "Y", and finally, remove the Value column.

ebeery_1-1653356199111.png

ebeery_3-1653356211958.png

ebeery_4-1653356223016.png

pxb015
Frequent Visitor

Amazing, this is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.