Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New_be
Helper IV
Helper IV

Conditional sum: Consecutive date and non-consecutive date

Hi expert,

Scenario:

I have a report that needs me to calculate the frequency of absenteeism impact per employee. The condition is, 1 date will be count as 1, and consecutive date will also be count as 1. If the consecutive date involve 2 different week, then it will be count as 2 and not 1. If 1 date (non-consecutive) and a consecutive dates appear on the same week, the sum of frequency will be 2.

Problem (please refer below image as a reference):

Problem appear when I need to calculate the frequency of the absenteeism where on the same week (in below case is week 20) I have 2 types of absenteeism. First is non-consecutive date, second is consecutive dates. The way I calculated now will not return 2 in sum, but it will only return 1 since my code is -> DISTINCTCOUNT(Week). Can somebody please guide me on how I can tackle this issue? Thanks in advance! 😊 

consecutive dates.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
11 REPLIES 11
New_be
Helper IV
Helper IV

Sorry for the delay,

Now I attached an example file from pbix. 😊
https://www.sendbig.com/view-files/?Id=d1066bf8-70e4-ae8b-0b06-20178a8509ad 

New_be_0-1689579867362.png

The sumx shows weird value.

Hi @Ahmedx , I already attached pbix file for your reference.

Hi @Ahmedx ,

Thank you so much! It solved the issue. In my case I just need another summarize function inside sum. Bless you!

Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiUZ0Ws7G26RiUi13Bf9jaud2VWf?e=ZiiHhm

Screen Capture #1387.png

Hi @Ahmedx ,

Thank you for your sharing. I learn new things today. 😊
But in my case this didn't work since my table have multiple employee for 1 date:

New_be_0-1689220808063.png

Below is my measure for the offset:

New_be_1-1689221041117.png

When I tried, an error message popup "offset relation parameter contains column "DateStamp" which matches more than one row or filter context". Is the issue happen because of that? Thank you for your help 🙏🏻

are you trying to create a calculated column?

Hi Ahmedx,
No, the image i attached is measure.. I tried to copy from what you did in your pbix file that I downloaded..

Please provide sample data (with sensitive information removed) that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

I created a simple pbix and I tested your code. Your code is 100% is working! 😊

But, in the real data that I have, when "DATEDIFF([Max date], [Gap in date],DAY) + 0" code makes my visual table weird. If only "DATEDIFF([Max date], [Gap in date],DAY)" its work. See below image:

New_be_0-1689307879211.pngNew_be_1-1689307908875.png

I have filter outside visual which is EmpNo = 18161 and YearMonth = Y23M05. When I used  "DATEDIFF([Max date], [Gap in date],DAY) + 0", it ignore the filter outside. This is the only issue that i have left.

Relationship & measure:

Filter EmpNo that I filter outside coming from table profile & occupation.

New_be_2-1689308375094.png

New_be_3-1689308570349.png

Thanks again for your assistance. Appreciate it

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data (with sensitive information removed) that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.