Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

balumaran
Frequent Visitor

Conditional Columns or IF Conditions in Direct Query mode

Hello Experts, 

Looking for help here. I have a report that pulls data from 11 mil rows and 10 mil rows SAP HANA views in direct query mode. I understand that there are limitations in Direct Query mode. However it takes a while to pull all the data in Import mode. My issue are: 

- In Direct Query Mode, I am trying to calculate a measure based on a Dimensional attrinbute. When I use Conditional column in the underlying table/view, I am getting error in the report. Where as When I try to use If statement, for experession parameter with in If Statement, I am not able to select the dimentional attribute. Basically I am trying to calculate Paid Attendance metric with the logical expression If the account code is "4001" then Attendance else 0 end. I am not able to select the account code in If statements.  What are the options for conditional calculations in direct query mode given the importing millions of rows takes a while to load the data. 

Appreciate taking time in looking into my issues. 

- Mani

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@balumaran,

For your Dimensional attrinbute, it's better to create a column other than a measure. I have tested it on my local environment, connect to SAP HANA.

Column = IF(RaduSales[EnglishProductName]="Bikes","A","B")
Measure 2 = if(SUM(RaduSales[SalesAmount])>50000000,"Good","N/A")
Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

If your issue persists, please provide us more detail information, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thanks Charlie for getting back to me. 

I am trying to create a measure based on a dimensional attribute, so When I create a measure , in If statement under Logical Test, my dimensional attribute column is not getting listed and it does not allow me to select it as well. I have to have an aggregation like Max, MIn, Distinct with the attribute with in the If statement.

I have a table with Attribute column account code, measures Attendance columns, dates etc. I need to create a paid attendance measure based on Account code. If account code is 4000, then sum(Attendance) is the Paid attendance. 

What am I missing ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.