Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SevsBo
Helper II
Helper II

Conditional Column not returning expected results

I have a column with data where I need to filter out lines with specific phrases and have found that the Conditional Column is not returning the results I would expect.

The column it's drawing from is in Text format, and contains information such as:

123test.Phrase.OtherText

Now that Phrase part could also appear in other parts of the text, but here it is nested by two dots, so I tried using a conditional column with this criteria:

If Column contains .Phrase. result is X. Only it's not picking it up. 

If I manually filter on the query level to check, I can filter out the lines with .Phrase. but the Conditional Column tool doesn't recognize it and just returns null.

Any ideas?

PS: I'm not trying to filter out this data by itself, so filtering it out on query level wouldn't be a solution. I need to mark it as separate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DOLEARY85
Super User
Super User

Hi,

can you use power query and do this in a custom column prior to a calculated column?

if so try: 

if Text.Contains([Text Field],".Phrase.") then "X" else "Y"

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DOLEARY85
Super User
Super User

Additionally if you need to use DAX you could create a calculated column with the below:

Column = if(CONTAINSSTRING('Table Name'[Text Field],".Phrase."),"X","Y")

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍
DOLEARY85
Super User
Super User

Hi,

can you use power query and do this in a custom column prior to a calculated column?

if so try: 

if Text.Contains([Text Field],".Phrase.") then "X" else "Y"

Gives a Y answer for the lines that should be flagged X, unfortunately.

That's odd, seemes to be working for my tests:

DOLEARY85_0-1685460807754.png

do you have some other example data that it's not working on?

Update: I just tried with case sensitive options, and it worked!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.