Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

lolouk44
Advocate I
Advocate I

Charticulator - setting Y Axis maximum value using a measure?

I've recently started learning Charticulator, and except for a few niggles (like being unable to change a symbol color once created), I love the customisation possibilities.

One thing I'd need is the ability to set a custom max value for my Y axis based on a different measure.

My current chart includes several superposed line glyphs, including a scatter chart with all the data and a rolling average line chart:

lolouk44_0-1633598377412.png

Obviously my rolling average does not have the same max value than my "all data" line so when setting both glyphs on top of each other, the Y axis don't match. As a work around I've manually set a hard coded max value for my Y Axis on all glyphs but that obviously won't work once I start using slicers to filter the data.

Any advice on this please?

13 REPLIES 13
nilmuriasgdp
Regular Visitor

Any updates on the problem? 

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lolouk44 ,

Could you pls provide your sample .pbix file for test?Better show me your expected output.

Remember to remove the confidential information.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

Hi @v-kelly-msft 

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with work.

See  sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aD668P6pDWbwiRi3UnDVMz8javLZohmF/view?usp=sharing

You will see I manually set the Y axis min and max values.

Hi @lolouk44 ,

Do you mean that you hope the max value changed dynamically according to the slicer?

vkellymsft_0-1634285393325.png

Which filter are you using?The one inside charticulator?Or Slicer below?

vkellymsft_1-1634285475810.png

I'm a little confused about your requested output..

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi @lolouk44 ,

Have you checked the max value for Y axis?

vkellymsft_2-1634288131971.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Thanks. I'm still a noob with charticulator so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Power BI's built in charts automatically adjusts the Y axis when there are multiple values displayed.

I've not found out how to have multiple values on the same chart in charticulator, because as far as I understand you have to drag & drop a measure on the Y axis.

So my workaround is to have multiple charts on top of each other, but obviously I need to adjust the Y axis ranges so they match.

Maybe I should have asked my question differently if my approach isn't right: how do I share the Y axis with multiple measures/values? (the X axis remains the dates table)

Hi @lolouk44 ,

I didnt use a measure but click ... then choose edit:

vkellymsft_0-1634521679429.png

Select "Plot Segment 1">Go to attributes>Find below information>check the selections:

vkellymsft_1-1634521816298.png

Check the reference below:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-za/blog/announcing-the-new-charticulator-visual-public-preview/

Best Regards,
Kelly

I'm sorry, I don't know if I can't explain what I'm after or if I'm missing something obvious.

If I set Auto Max value for both axis, my first chart (scatter plott) Y axis ranges from 0 to 6, so my chart is pretty much empty. (I have to manually set the range to 0-60 to see all bubbles)

So the auto-values don't work as they don't sync up with one another.

Hi  @lolouk44 ,

But from the test here,if you set auto for Y axis for each Plot(in your sample .pbix file,there are 2),they will all show in the visual,is below what you are after?Or you just wanna get one Y axis which contains the max value from 2 plots?

vkellymsft_0-1634710544203.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Thanks for coming back to me.

Seeing as I have multiple plots on top of each other (I know only 2 in the file I sent), I need to find a way to align the Y axis. They're all set to manually start at 0, so this side is fine, but I also want to align the max. Not via a slicer, but via a measure that would calculate the max for the chart that would have the bigger fluctuation.

So in the screenshot you provided, how do I set the value 60 to be dynamic pls?

IfF this isn't possible, is there a way to use a generic Y axis that I could reuse for multiple charts?

thanks

Hey @lolouk44

Did you manage to find a solution? I want to do the same and have multiple series on the same Y-Axis - but can't find a way to make it work. 

Thanks,

Simon

Hi @sstockda 

I'm afraid no. Another project has taken priority so this has been left for now.

I'm thinking of whether I should create a measure that calculates axis elements up to the maxmum of all series and use this as a Y axis (pretty much the way the date axis is separate from each measure annd pulled from a separate Dates table) but not sure how to ensure each value exists in the Y Axis values table...

Do post an update here if you manage to achieve "our" goal 

I have the same question. I would assume it should be the first problem anyone would encounter when having more than one plot segments. I have two lines that are not categories (two distinct measures), and they need to be plotted on the same XY space, but inevitably the second plot segment will show a different Y range than the first one.

Any help would be valuable!
Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.