Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cjones

Changing a Direct Query Power BI Model without Importing all data

Hi,

We have a Azure SQL DB which our Power BI connects to via Direct Query.

We want to add an additional dimension to the Power BI model which exists in the DB but when I try to add it Power BI forces me to import all data for all of the queries with the message:

Switching to Import Mode

The data source you are trying to connect to is different than the existing DirectQuery data source. To continue, all queries must be switched to import mode, which may result in a large amount of data being loaded.

But it is the same data source. Is there something I'm missing to be able to add additional data to a direct query model?

Thanks

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
markdy
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you for stating that the SQL Server Database Server and Database is case sensitive.

pqian
Employee
Employee

@cjones, currently all DQ data must come from the same database (also case sensitive)

Can you open the queries editor (Edit Queries), and then see how many queries you have in there? For each of the queries, can you go to View->Advance Query Editor and paste their M formula here? I can diagnose the problem better if I can see the queries.

Hi pquian,

Your statement -> currently all DQ data must come from the same database (also case sensitive) was the key.

I checked both database statements and one of them explicitly mentioned port 1433 whereas the other just stated the database name (as the default is 1433 the connection worked fine).

Apparently, this difference was enough for Power BI to think that it was a new different database and force the reimport.

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I you solve this?

Yes, unfortunately we currently have to put in this restriction based on the user supplied connection info. We are working on lifting this restriction in the future.

Glad your problem is solved 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.