Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

power-bi-noob
Helper I
Helper I

Change the way a table visualization displays date

I have a table visualization that includes a date, which currently displays as mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss. I would only like it to display as mm/dd/yyyy for this particular visualization. I do not want to change the data in the source table as the timestamp portion is useful in other contexts. How can this be done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @power-bi-noob ,

format the date column with the datecolumn tools tab to short date.

Idrissshatila_0-1673016710634.png

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
grandtotal
Resolver III
Resolver III

Or depending on your model you can use a measure:

FORMAT(<value>, <format_string>[, <locale_name>])

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/format-function-dax#datetime-with-optional-locale_name

mcgeeks
Helper I
Helper I

First, you can look at whichever app is used for the visualization and see if the formatting you want is available within that app.

PowerBI doesn't modify original content.  It reads it in with powerquery and lets you adjust it how you want via transform within PowerBI only.   In transform you can either adjust the original columns (which doesn't adjust the actual data where you're getting it from) OR if you want to play it safe you could just duplicate the column within the transform and format it the way you want in the new column, then use that differently formatted column for your visualization.  

I am looking to change this field's appearance in this visualization only, I don't want to change it in the model. If I want to make the value the color blue, I can, but if I just want to see the date without the time, that doesn't seem to be an option. You can easily do this in Excel (change the way the date displays without changing the underlying data). It's puzzling that you can't do that in Power BI.

In that case, I have added columns via splitting the original into 2 new columns (leaving the combined original).  Then using whichever column you want/need... in your case it sounds like the date without time column.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos

mcgeeks_0-1672868293356.png

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello,

If you want you could dublicate the column and format it mm/dd/yyyy  and use it in the matrix or split  the main column into date alone and time alone.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos👍

Follow me on Linkedin

I duplicated the column, and changed the column format to date, and it looks fine in the table (mm/dd/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyyy hh:mm:ss).

powerbinoob_1-1673016224065.png

Now, for some absurd reason, it shows the name of the day in the table visualization, which clearly isn't displayed in the table.

powerbinoob_0-1673016042305.png

All I want it to show is 12/30/2022. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

Hello @power-bi-noob ,

format the date column with the datecolumn tools tab to short date.

Idrissshatila_0-1673016710634.png

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Perfect! I knew it couldn't be that hard, the interface on this program just seems to be very complex. Thanks!

If I duplicate the column, what happens the next time I import the data from the original source which would not include this data?

Hello, 

When you refresh the data, your changes will stay and you don't have to remake them again.

If I answered your question please mark my post as a solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Once you build the transformation it will work the same way every time you open it.  So unless you're rebuilding your visualization every time you want to open/use it the transformation will remain the same unless and until you modify it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.