Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JorgeDiego
Advocate I
Advocate I

Change pbix data source programmatically

Hi everyone,

I want to know wheter is it possible to change the data source from a pbix file programmatically. 

I want to use the same report for different customer that use different data bases, with the same schema. 

Currently, I develop a report using an internal data base and then I change this report data source for every customer and I upload the pbix file to them power bi account. So, what I want to do is to make this process programmatically to do it faster and avoid possible errors. 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JorgeDiego,

As you said, power bi not support to direct modified the datasource without open the pbix file, perhaps you can submit your requirement to ideas.

In addition, you can try to store your connection string to a config file, then write a custom function to analysis this file. After these steps, you can change the datasource without open the pbix file.(After you modified the config file, you should refresh it at pbix report to get the newest data)

Sample:

let
xmlTable = Xml.Tables(File.Contents("C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\test.xml")),
server=xmlTable[Server]{0},
database=xmlTable[Database]{0},
Source= Sql.Database(server,database)
in
Source

Xml:

<config>
<Server>"abc"</Server>
<Database>"edd"</Database>
</config>

Screenshots:

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Steve_S
Frequent Visitor

Also interested in this option; here's what I've found so far:

1. The pbit/pbix files are basic zip files, with the extension changed; you can unzip and rezip and PowerBI will recognize them

2. The DataMashup file within the archive is also an archive, but it is NOT a basic zip file; unzipping and rezipping will not be recognized by PowerBI... but this archive contains Section1.m which has the query source definitions (likely what we need to change programmatically to achieve Jorge's desired solution)

3. DataMashup seems to be a MS-QDEFF file: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/office_file_formats/ms-qdeff/e6377721-700b-411c-9d4f-3fc0...

So at least the potential workflow for programmatically changing the source would be:

a. upzip the pbit/pbix archive

b. parse/unpack the DataMashup file, following the MS-QDEFF structure rules

c. change Section1.m

d. repackage DataMashup, following the MS-QDEFF structure rules

e. rezip the entire archive, including the new DataMashup and change the extension back to pbit or pbix

Python's zipfile library can do steps (a) & (e) easily, and basic python string manipulation can handle (c). Challenge is writing some functions to handle the MS-QDEFF parsing/writing... 

We have a lot of data in our company. Currently, we rely on manually creating ad hoc Power BI reports for each customer. Ideally, we could use programming languages such as Java, .NET, Python, or R to handle the ETL work and then use code to generate Power BI reports by inserting built-in visuals and publishing them automatically. I found that the REST API can push datasets into the workspace. There are also Power BI development tools for creating customized visuals. However, for our use case, the typical built-in visuals are good enough. My question is: is there any way I can use a programming language to insert built-in visuals in Power BI?

Got it I think.

Here's Python code to unpack, change and repack the *.pbit programmatically (haven't tested on *.pbix):

----

import zipfile
import io

main_pbit = r"target_full_path_to_pbit/file.pbit"

revised_pbit =   r"target_full_path_to_save_pbit/file_new.pbit"

'''
Key Functions
'''    
def edit_Section1(old_text,new_text,datamashup_byte_stream):
    byte_dict = {}

with datamashup_byte_stream as f:
        f.seek(0)
        #parsed bytes based on the microsoft MS-QDEFF documentation (thank you MS!)
        byte_dict['version'] = f.read(4)

byte_dict['pkg_parts_len'] = f.read(4)
        byte_dict['pkg_parts'] = f.read(int.from_bytes(byte_dict['pkg_parts_len'],byteorder='little'))

byte_dict['perm_len'] = f.read(4)
        byte_dict['perm_var'] = f.read(int.from_bytes(byte_dict['perm_len'],byteorder='little'))

byte_dict['meta_len'] = f.read(4)
        byte_dict['meta_var'] = f.read(int.from_bytes(byte_dict['meta_len'],byteorder='little'))

byte_dict['perm_bind_len'] = f.read(4)
        byte_dict['perm_bind_var'] = f.read(int.from_bytes(byte_dict['perm_bind_len'],byteorder='little'))

mashup_f = io.BytesIO(byte_dict['pkg_parts'] )
        test_zip = zipfile.ZipFile(mashup_f,mode='r')
        archive_contents = test_zip.filelist
        #step into the package parts of the archive, which contains the query definitions
        with test_zip.open('Formulas/Section1.m','r') as section1_f:
            section1_text = section1_f.read()
            '''
            Do all your text swapping/manipulation here
            '''
            section1_revised = section1_text.replace(old_text,new_text)

#create a new zip file in memory
        zip_buffer = io.BytesIO()
        zip_archive = zipfile.ZipFile(zip_buffer,mode='w',compression=zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED)

for ac in archive_contents:
            if ac.filename == 'Formulas/Section1.m':
                zip_archive.writestr('Formulas/Section1.m',data=section1_revised)
            else:
                with test_zip.open(ac,'r') as temp_f:
                    temp_bytes = temp_f.read()
                zip_archive.writestr(ac,data=temp_bytes)

#close out streams   
        zip_archive.close()
        test_zip.close()

#go back to start of bytestream and re-read it, finding new package parts and package parts length
        zip_buffer.seek(0)
        byte_dict['pkg_parts'] = zip_buffer.read()       
        byte_dict['pkg_parts_len'] = len(byte_dict['pkg_parts']).to_bytes(4,byteorder='little')

f.close()

new_mashup = io.BytesIO()

#write out the revised DataMashup file (in correct order, from ordered list)
    for b in ['version','pkg_parts_len','pkg_parts','perm_len','perm_var','meta_len','meta_var','perm_bind_len','perm_bind_var']:
        new_mashup.write(byte_dict[b])

return new_mashup

'''
Main Code
'''

main_zip = zipfile.ZipFile(main_pbit,mode='r')
main_archive_list = main_zip.filelist

new_zipfile = zipfile.ZipFile(revised_pbit,mode='w',compression=zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED)

for al in main_archive_list:
    if al.filename == 'DataMashup':
        with main_zip.open(al.filename,'r') as datamashup_byte_stream:
            #Do any text parsing on the source definitions here
            revised_DataMashup = edit_Section1(b'CHANGETHISTOSOMETHINGELSE',b'Hello_world',datamashup_byte_stream)
            revised_DataMashup.seek(0)
            final_DataMashup = revised_DataMashup.read()
            new_zipfile.writestr('DataMashup',data=final_DataMashup)
    else:
        with main_zip.open(al,'r') as temp_f:
            temp_bytes = temp_f.read()
        new_zipfile.writestr(al,data=temp_bytes)

#close out streams   
main_zip.close()
new_zipfile.close()

----

For this demo I just made a very basic pbit file with a data source and a custom column:

let
     Source = ...

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Custom_Col", each "CHANGETHISTOSOMETHINGELSE")
in
     #"Added Custom"

... and it looks like we can swap out the column text "CHANGETHISTOSOMETHINGELSE"-->"Hello_World" fine.  To swap out other parts of the M query source, I think it's just a matter of the specific text parsing for section1.m 

Next step will be to figure out how to pull/push these files to/from webservice, but hopefully this is a useful piece for others.

gaurav11aug

can we rename power bi embedded report using asp.net mvc

Hi. I copy File pbix with the xlsx file to another computer and I want to refresh BI file using .net. How can I modify DataMashup file or another way to refresh connections? I do not want to use interface, to swap data source file. Some one of you try this before?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any luck with modifying the data mashup file ?

Kenkamran
Regular Visitor

Pbix is just a zip package. Can you open the package and change the connection file in it. All this can be done programmatically.

public static class Misc{

public static void UpdateConnection(string filepath)
{
using (ZipArchive archive = new ZipArchive(File.Open(filepath, FileMode.Open), ZipArchiveMode.Update,false,null)){
ZipArchiveEntry entry = archive.GetEntry("Connections");
string newstring;
using (var sr = new StreamReader(entry.Open())){

var jsonText = sr.ReadToEnd();
newstring = UpdateServer("MyTestServer", jsonText);
}
using (var sw = new StreamWriter(entry.Open())){
sw.Write(newstring);
}
}
}

private string UpdateServer(string server,string jsonText){
var pattern = @"Data Source\s*=\s*\w+\b";
return Regex.Replace(jsonText, pattern, $"Data Source={server}");
}
}

Did this work ? I get an error message saying corrupted file or file created from unsupported version of Poewr BI.

Kenkamran
Regular Visitor

Pbix is just a zip package. Can you open the package and change the connection file in it. All this can be done programmatically.

JorgeDiego
Advocate I
Advocate I

Many thanks for your message but noone is helping me. I want to be able to change the datasource without having to open the pbix file. I have been surfing on the internet looking for any solution but I have found nothing. I´m beging to think that it is not possible to do what I want. Thank you anyway

Hi, @JorgeDiego 

Today I am srufing the web with the same reuqirement you need in 2017.
Just repharasng the requirment again that, I have multiple clients with their own Servers and Databases but the report schema is same. Right now I am manually handeling this by creating Worksapces for each client on app.powerbi.com and creating a copy of report for each client, updating its Datasource on PowerBi Desktop and publishing it again on the client specific worksapce.

I want to automate this process using PowerShell Script. 

So I want to Update the Datasource of a PBIX file and according to client and publish it on client specific worksapce on app.powerbi.com

Please help. 

Hi, any luck finding a solution? I have the same requirement. 

No i am still strugling 😞

Hi @JorgeDiego,

As you said, power bi not support to direct modified the datasource without open the pbix file, perhaps you can submit your requirement to ideas.

In addition, you can try to store your connection string to a config file, then write a custom function to analysis this file. After these steps, you can change the datasource without open the pbix file.(After you modified the config file, you should refresh it at pbix report to get the newest data)

Sample:

let
xmlTable = Xml.Tables(File.Contents("C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\test.xml")),
server=xmlTable[Server]{0},
database=xmlTable[Database]{0},
Source= Sql.Database(server,database)
in
Source

Xml:

<config>
<Server>"abc"</Server>
<Database>"edd"</Database>
</config>

Screenshots:

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft,

Can this method be used as a way to share templates / content packs to connect to different sources ?

The history behind this question is here.

I was able to solve this problem using a paremeter in Power Query. The parameter is set to the users dropbox "home" local folder. Then, when I share the PBT file it prompts the user to enter their specific filepath before creating their user-specific pbix. This isn't quite automagical but it does the job. 

Could you please elaborate the last part

Source= //invoke data connection method here

Bare with me please, bcoz i'm very new to this.

It could be a good solution. It is not the best, but, currently, the solution I´m looking for doesn´t exist. 

Many thanks.

hugoberry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Using parameters as @v-shex-msft was mentioning plus think about storing a file with connection string as its contents and store it in the same location for each of the client. Then on opening the PBIT the parametrs can be prepopulated with the contents of this stored file.

Otherwise you can think about a more (Power Query M) scripted approach where you parse PBIX/PBIT files, extract the query scripts do the replacements and figure out how to re-save that as a new PBIX/PBIT file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.