Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alejandrofm
Helper II
Helper II

Change language for FORMAT function and hierarchy

Hi, I'm developing every report in english because is easier to find tutorials online in that language, I allways code in english.

Now I have to plublish a report that uses FORMAT(table[date];"DDDD") to get the day of the week, it returns the result in english. I downloaded the spanish version of PBI, load the file, change the language, add again that column, and it's still in english.

Have the same problem when using date hierarchy, it didn't translate those either (the ones that are created automatically when drag a date field to an graph axis)

Any idea of how can I solve this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi! @MFelix I checked that, is all configured that way, hyerarchies still are in english, format too (My OS is in spanish configured with spanish locale, same as IE).

@v-shex-msft @MFelix Ok, this is the current situation, I CAN'T use FORMAT in DAX, because I lost the LOCALE configured before, BUT I CAN use Extract month from date in query editor and it returns the date in spanish. Does that make sense?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gionny

Try something like this.

FORMAT('DATA'[Date];"MMMM";"pt-br")
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @alejandrofm,

I'd like to suggest you try to use 'use locate' option to manually setting content type to help query editor format your data type more accuracy.

Local date formats in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @alejandrofm,

Regarding the regional settings this is unique to each report and by default it will pick up the OS options however you can change this for a specific file.

Open the report you want to have in spanish and on FILE -> OPTIONS -> REGIONAL SETTINGS change it to Spanish.

No need to download the spanish version or any other.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Yes I have that configured as Spanish, the day/month calculated fields are still in english. Any idea?

Thank you!

Hi @alejandrofm,

Be aware that if your computer is with regional settings in english all the date columns will appear in english and not in Spanish.

As you can see below if I have the OS in English although the PBIX file is in Spanish dates are English when OS is Spanish everything is Spanish.

So if your users will have the system in Spanish they will see everything correct.

Format.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi! @MFelix I checked that, is all configured that way, hyerarchies still are in english, format too (My OS is in spanish configured with spanish locale, same as IE).

@v-shex-msft @MFelix Ok, this is the current situation, I CAN'T use FORMAT in DAX, because I lost the LOCALE configured before, BUT I CAN use Extract month from date in query editor and it returns the date in spanish. Does that make sense?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix ,

I am having similar problem on my side. We have created dataset with Switzerland (De) regional settings. And now when we use format function, we are always getting german day names even if our regional settings are set to English (US).
It would be best if we can fix this in dataset somehow (and i am trying to avoid switch with list of day names in english)

Calendar = ADDCOLUMNS( 
	CALENDAR(
		"2019-01-01",
		"2019-12-31"),
	 "WeekDay", FORMAT ( [Date], "dddd" ),
	 "WeekDayNo", WEEKDAY([Date],2 )
 )

Format problem.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I can see only now, that model language is set only once, when report is create and is not able to change.

I guess this means i will need to create another dataset with correct model settings

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.