Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change Data source In Power BI Service

Hi Everyone,

I have a requirement to change the Data source for the existed reports in Power BI Service.

We have few reports which build based on data from share point folder, now we need to change the data source from share point to Mount drive/Azure in Power BI service itself.

can anyone help me how to change data source in service( I know how to do it in Desktop level)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try using Power BI Rest API or XMLA endpoints to change data sources of Power BI dataset.

Using XMLA endpoints to change data sources in a Power BI dataset 

Datasets - Update Datasources In Group 

This is my test steps to change the SharePoint Online data source to a local SQL Server data source using Table Editor on Power BI Service.

1. Open a Tabular Model from an existing database (Ctrl+Shift+O). The server name is the URL of your PPU/Premium workspace, and then log in with your Power BI account.

vkkfmsft_1-1645002406286.png

2. Find the partition of the table and you can see that the partition’s M expression shows that the dataset comes from an Excel file on SharePoint Online.

vkkfmsft_2-1645002606966.png

3. Then you need to change the partition’s M expression to SQL Server data source as the following example. Save the changes to the dataset.

vkkfmsft_0-1645002349403.png

4. Configure the credentials of the new data source for this dataset on Power BI Service and refresh the dataset.

Note that it is important to ensure that the structure (including table name, column names) of the table imported from the new data source and the old data source are the same, so as to ensure a successful refresh after modifying the data source.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try using Power BI Rest API or XMLA endpoints to change data sources of Power BI dataset.

Using XMLA endpoints to change data sources in a Power BI dataset 

Datasets - Update Datasources In Group 

This is my test steps to change the SharePoint Online data source to a local SQL Server data source using Table Editor on Power BI Service.

1. Open a Tabular Model from an existing database (Ctrl+Shift+O). The server name is the URL of your PPU/Premium workspace, and then log in with your Power BI account.

vkkfmsft_1-1645002406286.png

2. Find the partition of the table and you can see that the partition’s M expression shows that the dataset comes from an Excel file on SharePoint Online.

vkkfmsft_2-1645002606966.png

3. Then you need to change the partition’s M expression to SQL Server data source as the following example. Save the changes to the dataset.

vkkfmsft_0-1645002349403.png

4. Configure the credentials of the new data source for this dataset on Power BI Service and refresh the dataset.

Note that it is important to ensure that the structure (including table name, column names) of the table imported from the new data source and the old data source are the same, so as to ensure a successful refresh after modifying the data source.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @Anonymous ! Unless you have your data source parameterized that won't be possible. You can change your source through parameters, although they still have to be from the same type ( SQL DB to SQL DB, Sharepoint Folder to another Folder, for example).

goncalogeraldes_0-1644409894347.png

Here is a post with further explanations on how to do it!

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.