Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RockandGrohl

Can someone please explain why I arbitrarily can't add fields to charts?

Hi guys

I've had this problem now with several charts, where I attempt to drag & drop a field with valid data in to a chart, and nothing happens - I can't believe there is no kind of error message telling me what I am doing wrong, I don't even get a "Computer says no" - it just gives me no feedback whasoever on why it's unable to do such a simple thing.

Regardless of my moaning, I do actually want to learn why this is, so here's the context.

I have a blank line chart. I'm building this off a 'ComparisonTable' which is a summary of my 'Database' table.

ComparisonTable = 
SUMMARIZE(
    Database,
    Database[Type],
    Database[Cost Heading],
    Database[Cost Group],
    Database[Asset],
    "MinRate", MIN(Database[Rate]),
    "MaxRate", MAX(Database[Rate])
)

So I'm simply looking to get one line per Asset, with the minimum cost rate and the maximum cost rate. Example:

Apple | £0.80 | £1.00

Etc.

So I create a line chart, drag Asset onto the X, then I wish to have two Y-axis series - one for the minimum cost, and one for the maximum. I drag the MinRate into the Y-axis field 1 and nothing happens.

BUT

If I then create an excel table, and summarise the data in *EXACTLY* the same way as the 'ComparisonTable', then link that to a new PowerBI project I can create the table exactly as I need, example below.

chart example.JPG

Yes, I'm doing a bodge to get a dumbbell chart in.

My overall intention for this dashboard is to have the user import a CSV of products with the quoted price, and have the quoted prices appear on the relevant X-axis against the minimum & the maximum, and in that way the user can measure the quoted price of products against the database of costs.

But for now..

HOW DO I GET THE LINE CHART TO WORK WITH CALCULATED COLUMNS/TABLES, OR AT THE VERY LEAST, HOW DO I GET POWER BI TO TELL ME WHY THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE FOR THIS DATA FIELD?!

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
RockandGrohl

So I actually solved this and it's a genuine bug.

Microsoft added something in for Calculated groups that turn off Enable Implicit Measures.

I did not have at any points any calculated groups. Ever.

I learned that this kills the ability to sum columns etc. Fun, so what I ended up having to do was to go into PowerBI settings, turning on the beta setting to enable calculated groups, and then turning on the Implicit Measures switch. And hey-presto, now columns can be used in graphs.

Absolutely insane. I had to enable a beta feature to turn on a setting that had been turned off, with no ability to re-enable it unless you opted in to a beta setting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.