Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Calling SQL stored procedure with Direct Query

Hi Guys,

I was pretty stunned to know today that we cannot simply call a stored procedure in direct query mode as it gives systax error after closing Query Editor.

Can anyone provide any workarounds as i cannot switch to model based connection.

Prateek Raina

7 REPLIES 7
a4peterson
Frequent Visitor

At our end, we have full ability to setup new functions, so the easiest is to just configure the SP as a function. OpenRowset/Openquery will work but is messy.  

a4peterson
Frequent Visitor

You can also convert the stored procedures to table based functions. Then use a select * from <function_name> in Power BI.  

nickchobotar
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hello @prateekraina

Same here. I am able to load the data into PQ but once I close it I get back incorrect syntax error

image.png
image.png

image.png

Hi , @nickchobotar@prateekraina

I have the same problem did you find suitable solution?.

BR,
Noa.

@Noak

Nope. Actually, there should not be a solution or a workaround to this. It should just work..... 

This issue is on the lis of PBI ideas (only 4 votes of today). Please vote!

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/33504791-direct-query

N -

Hi @nickchobotar,

I voted .

I did my research and found a solution use the following query (replace server name and parameters you would like to use):

select *
from
openrowset('SQLOLEDB','SERVER=SERVERNAME;Trusted_Connection=yes;',' set fmtonly off;exec DATABASE..SPNAME @StartDate=''2018-01-01'' ,@EndDate=''2018-01-04'' ')

(you need to alow openrowset functionality at your sqlserver database)

BR,
Noa.

I know it's been a while but as you know they haven't fixed the problem.
Questions, I tried this code with no success. How did you set it up in your PBI file?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.