Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating Hard Churn / Soft Churn / New Customers / Upsell using numbers

Hi All,

I have a chart with Beginning of Month date, which I'm using to measure the previous months annual recurring revenue/monthly recurring revenue. From that, I have each customer and what their ARR/MRR is, and sum it up and get the total.

What I want to do, is see if I can divide the changes in each month to see if a customer churns. 

This is what I have now:

Customer                       BOM Date                            ARR 

9/1/2011

A                                   10/1/2011                            1000

A                                   11/1/2011                            1000

A                                   12/1/2011                            2000

A                                      1/1/2012                            1000

2/1/2012                        

Theres a lot of customers, but just an example. If customer A just started in 10/1/2011,  I want to attribute that 1000 revenue as a new customer, for all my customers. At 12/1, I want to attribute the extra 1000 to an upsell. Then, the customer stopped paying that extra 1k service, so I want to attribute that to soft churn. As the customer doesn't have an entry for 2/1/2012, I want to attribute that 1k loss to hard churn. 

Any thoughts on how to do this? This leaves me with something like this desired outcome:

Net New MRR broken up by type

https://chartio.com/learn/saas-metrics/how-to-calculate-and-visualize-ARR-and-MRR/

To accomplish, I'm thinking something like adding columns, like this:

Customer                       BOM Date                            ARR                   New Customer     Upsell           Soft Churn 

9/1/2011

A                                   10/1/2011                            1000                    1000                       0                   0

A                                   11/1/2011                            1000                     0                            0                   0

A                                   12/1/2011                            2000                     0                          1000               0

A                                      1/1/2012                            1000                                                                      1000

2/1/2012                        

Maybe a measure or something for hard churn. 

9 REPLIES 9
Finance
Helper I
Helper I

Hey @Anonymous, Im dealing with the same situation where I have different billing cycle which I aggregrated to daliy revenue. But now I'm having hard time calculating Hard/soft/added/lost churn. Please let me know if you found out any logic to calculate your churn 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have! I can type it out here or if you want to chat let me know.

hey @Anonymous you can type it out here or can email on ruchperformive@gmail.com. Than you so much

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

So, not sure if I understand what you are looking for? Is it the formulas for these columns?

Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

A date level might even be better, where I do first of each month:

Total Current ACV | New Cust. | New Cust. ACV  |  Hard churn cust | Hard churn ACV|   Soft churn ACV | Upsell ACV | Renewal 

1/10/2012         3000          |  10            |  5000                  |          5                | -3000                 |     -5000             |  1000           | 2000      

Hi, @Anonymous 

Have you managed to find a solution? I'm very interested in it as well

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have! I can type it out here or if you want to chat let me know.

Hi there,

I guess typing out here would be the best solution, as everybody could access it, as well as the option to suggest changes/improvements 🙂

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nathan,

Formulas for the columns, or if theres a better approach (like for hard churn, where can't really do a column)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.