Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating Hard Churn / Soft Churn / New Customers / Upsell using numbers

Hi All,

I have a chart with Beginning of Month date, which I'm using to measure the previous months annual recurring revenue/monthly recurring revenue. From that, I have each customer and what their ARR/MRR is, and sum it up and get the total.

What I want to do, is see if I can divide the changes in each month to see if a customer churns. 

This is what I have now:

Customer                       BOM Date                            ARR 

9/1/2011

A                                   10/1/2011                            1000

A                                   11/1/2011                            1000

A                                   12/1/2011                            2000

A                                      1/1/2012                            1000

2/1/2012                        

Theres a lot of customers, but just an example. If customer A just started in 10/1/2011,  I want to attribute that 1000 revenue as a new customer, for all my customers. At 12/1, I want to attribute the extra 1000 to an upsell. Then, the customer stopped paying that extra 1k service, so I want to attribute that to soft churn. As the customer doesn't have an entry for 2/1/2012, I want to attribute that 1k loss to hard churn. 

Any thoughts on how to do this? This leaves me with something like this desired outcome:

Net New MRR broken up by type

https://chartio.com/learn/saas-metrics/how-to-calculate-and-visualize-ARR-and-MRR/

To accomplish, I'm thinking something like adding columns, like this:

Customer                       BOM Date                            ARR                   New Customer     Upsell           Soft Churn 

9/1/2011

A                                   10/1/2011                            1000                    1000                       0                   0

A                                   11/1/2011                            1000                     0                            0                   0

A                                   12/1/2011                            2000                     0                          1000               0

A                                      1/1/2012                            1000                                                                      1000

2/1/2012                        

Maybe a measure or something for hard churn. 

9 REPLIES 9
Finance
Helper I
Helper I

Hey @Anonymous, Im dealing with the same situation where I have different billing cycle which I aggregrated to daliy revenue. But now I'm having hard time calculating Hard/soft/added/lost churn. Please let me know if you found out any logic to calculate your churn 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have! I can type it out here or if you want to chat let me know.

hey @Anonymous you can type it out here or can email on ruchperformive@gmail.com. Than you so much

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

So, not sure if I understand what you are looking for? Is it the formulas for these columns?

Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

A date level might even be better, where I do first of each month:

Total Current ACV | New Cust. | New Cust. ACV  |  Hard churn cust | Hard churn ACV|   Soft churn ACV | Upsell ACV | Renewal 

1/10/2012         3000          |  10            |  5000                  |          5                | -3000                 |     -5000             |  1000           | 2000      

Hi, @Anonymous 

Have you managed to find a solution? I'm very interested in it as well

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have! I can type it out here or if you want to chat let me know.

Hi there,

I guess typing out here would be the best solution, as everybody could access it, as well as the option to suggest changes/improvements 🙂

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nathan,

Formulas for the columns, or if theres a better approach (like for hard churn, where can't really do a column)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.