Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shinney
Helper I
Helper I

Best way to sort by Month order instead of Alphabetic order

Hello, I'm trying to get my matrix visual to sort in month's order but since the month names are in text, it's automatically sorted alphabetically. I have tried several methods to fix this but none of them helped:

1. I added a Data table which has the month IDs and joined it to the Month column on my main table ... did not work. I'm unable to sort in the main table as my source is DirectQuery.

shinney_0-1681755507191.png

2. Created a calculated column via Dax (see below) so this can be used instead. However, I'm just getting a "circular dependency" error was created instead when trying to sort Month by the Month_Number column.

Month_Number = SWITCH (
    'ds_miningdata PreVitalStats__Prelim_Vital_Stats_Tonnage'[Month]
        ,"December",12        ,"November",11        ,"October",10        ,"September",09        ,"August",08        ,"July",07      
        ,"June",06         ,"May",05        ,"April",04        ,"March",03        ,"February",02        ,"January",01)

Because my source is Direct Query, I am unable to sort my months by column in Data View. I already made sure the months are indexed on my date column, but still no luck as they are defaulting to sorting alphabetically.

The only way to make the order correctly applied is to have the columns be the Month numbers instead, but this is not preferred.

Any ideas?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The simplest way is to use dates instead, and format the date as "mmm".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The simplest way is to use dates instead, and format the date as "mmm".

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. This worked so well, thank you! 

Basically I added my "Date" column to the "Columns" section of the matrix, and removed Year Quarter and Day and it stays in order!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.