Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average of 12 months plus last month of previous year

Hey guys,

I want to calculate an average of monthly values of GAV for a year. But instead of starting at January, start at December of the previous year and include all months of year (and for ongoing year all months to date) + december last year. It was so simple in excel, and I can't figure out a solution on PBI.
Here is a simple example of what I am trying to do:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8m312om0tfffxg/Example6.xlsx?dl=0

Any ideas how to set up the time inteligence for this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you have Year column in your table, or you use a Date table? I am using the same to show you one way

Vera_33_0-1626253015714.png

Ave = 
VAR CurY=MAX(factTable[Year])
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL('factTable'),factTable[Data]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&factTable[Data]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[GAV])

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, your case is different from the simple Excel sample, so modified a little bit

Vera_33_0-1626311297835.png

Average GAV = 
VAR CurY=MAX(Dates[Year])
VAR T1 = CALCULATETABLE(ADDCOLUMNS(ALL(Dates[EndOfMonth]),"TEST",[GAV]),ALL(Dates[Year]))
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(T1,[EndOfMonth]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&[EndOfMonth]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[TEST])

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you have Year column in your table, or you use a Date table? I am using the same to show you one way

Vera_33_0-1626253015714.png

Ave = 
VAR CurY=MAX(factTable[Year])
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL('factTable'),factTable[Data]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&factTable[Data]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[GAV])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, thank you a lot it does seem to work with the excel data, but my PBI model has a few extra details and for some reason it does not include the december of last year it seams. I am attaching an example file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a006u6lay2mnsvl/Example7.pbix?dl=0
In this case the expected value for 2021 would be 27176766,83.

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, your case is different from the simple Excel sample, so modified a little bit

Vera_33_0-1626311297835.png

Average GAV = 
VAR CurY=MAX(Dates[Year])
VAR T1 = CALCULATETABLE(ADDCOLUMNS(ALL(Dates[EndOfMonth]),"TEST",[GAV]),ALL(Dates[Year]))
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(T1,[EndOfMonth]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&[EndOfMonth]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[TEST])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked like a charm, thank you 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.