Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Phil1
Regular Visitor

Auto-Uploading Data

Hi all.

Very quick question about the desktop version. Our IT department are saying that there is a delay in rolling out Power BI desktop to us because it automatically uploads data to a Microsoft Azure server. I didn't know this was the case with the desktop version, I assumed it wouldn't be. Would someone be able to confirm or deny this for me please, ideally with a source.

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Phil1,

Very quick question about the desktop version. Our IT department are saying that there is a delay in rolling out Power BI desktop to us because it automatically uploads data to a Microsoft Azure server. I didn't know this was the case with the desktop version, I assumed it wouldn't be.

You're right. Power BI Desktop won't automatically publish your data(reports, dataset) to the server. Smiley Happy

In order to publish a Power BI Desktop dataset and reports to the server, we must sign in Power BI Desktop with our Power BI account first, then go to Power BI Desktop > File > PublishPublish to Power BI or click Publish on the ribbon.

Reference: Publish from Power BI Desktop

Regards

@Phil1 When you import data, then publish the file to the Service, you are pushing your data into Azure. You can also use Direct Query against a supported data source or Live Connection against Analysis Services and in both those cases, the data is NOT pushed up into the the cloud. Check out the security white paper that is a download from here for all the details.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.