Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

alibaba

Authentication SQL Server

Dear Community,

I am about to connect Power BI to my SQL database. Firstly I have created a local user on the SQL server and it worked properly to connect to the databses on the server from PowerBI - SQL Server autehntication.

Now I would like to change to a new user with windows authentication but it fails with the message: "The authentication with the provided information failed. Try again"

• The user login via windows authentication on the SQL server works pretty fine
  • Only the connection via PowerBI fails

Did I miss something regarding the permissions of the user on server and database level?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @alibaba,

What windows authentication account did you configure on your database? The device which you install the SQL server or the device which installed the power bi and try to connect to the SQL server?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

In addition, you can also take a look at the following document about troubleshooting SQL clients if helps:

SqlClient troubleshooting guide - ADO.NET Provider for SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alibaba

@amitchandak thx for the quick reply!

I have now also installed SSMS on my local machine (there I also use PowerBI) and tried to connect to the Server and get an error:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - Die Zertifikatkette wurde von einer nicht vertrauenswürdigen Zertifizierungsstelle ausgestellt.) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

HI @alibaba,

What windows authentication account did you configure on your database? The device which you install the SQL server or the device which installed the power bi and try to connect to the SQL server?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

In addition, you can also take a look at the following document about troubleshooting SQL clients if helps:

SqlClient troubleshooting guide - ADO.NET Provider for SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@alibaba , On the machine you have power bi, are you able to login to SQL Server via SSMS using windows auth?

if not, then check that first

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.