Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lopez0090
Helper III
Helper III

About "Text Filter (custom visual)". Is it true that the "Text Filter" will no longer be supported?

If you use the "Text Filter", you will see a warning like the one below.

2021-10-22 100004.jpg 2021-10-22 100319.jpg

Is it true that the "Text Filter" will no longer be supported?
It says to replace it, but are there any Visuals that can replace the Text Filter?

The "Text Filter" is a visual that I use a lot, so I don't want it to stop working.
Can you please let me know if there is a replacement visual?

Best regards,

Lopez

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Lopez0090 the version of the visual, not Power BI. So you'll need to go to get the updated version of Text Filter visual. Hope that makes sense?

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/wa104381309?tab=overview

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

@cgundlack I believe you are correct.

@Lopez0090 from what I can see, although there is no formal announcement as yet to the Text Filter visual, the Search function has been updated to include fuzzy matching capabilities that ignore leading and ending spaces, ignore capital and lowercase letters, etc.  Although it is not as yet matched to the Text Filter capabilities, it is likely to be a replacement (in the short-term anyway).

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
lasersharks
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

@Ranin  when you say MS will continue to provide support, are there any plans to add capabilites to this visual like searching for multiple values or wildcard searching? Thanks

Ranin
Employee
Employee

Hi

Text filter will not be depreicated. Microsoft will continue providing support for this visual. The depreication message will be removed this week.

Thanks for your feedback!

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lopez0090 ,

Please check the latest development of this postText Filter visual will NOT be deprecated in response to community requests. The deprecation warning will go away within a week.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

See https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Text-Search-Deprecated-what-is-its-replacement/td-p/2146794

An alternative for those who depend on it could be to develop (maintain yourself) and publish your own similar custom visual with help from the source code: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-visuals-TextFilter

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lopez0090 ,

I think this is true. In Power BI Desktop, you can use the search function of the slicer to filter text instead of Text Filter.

8.png10.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it is not always possible to trade it for the slicer option, due to different purpose and use of page space. Also, it on our reports whenever it is possible, it would look more like a very clunky change for a very alegant solution to search in text fields. Slicers purpose are really to help slice and dice inside limited sets of text which is not the case of the text search.

Kind Regards,
David

@v-stephen-msft, do you have a link to a Microsoft source advising that it is getting rid of the Text Filter visual?  The Text Filter visual and the Search function are two very different things. Search does not have the same capability as the Text Filter.  If it is true, however, it would be great for you to share the link to support the comment. Many thanks in advance - Theo

Hi @TheoC ,

Sorry, these two visuals are really different. The developers of Text Filter visual don't maintain it anymore. Probably, it will be removed from AppSource soon. Please use alternative visuals.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-stephen-msft ,

This visual is one of the most useful in the marketplace and (IMO) should be one of the preinstalled visualizations.  In Marketplace, the publisher is Microsoft Corporation--so, has Microsoft decided to no longer support this? 

And if so, the message sounds a lot like "Users are just going to have to get used to an inferior experience"

Is there a way to escalate this?

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lopez0090 

I think all it is saying is that you need to update to the newer version.  If you have the visual in a Template or something of that nature, then just download the newest version.

This should resolve the problem 🙂

Hi, @TheoC  

The version of Power BI is the latest (October 2021), but I get a warning.

What else do I need to be up-to-date on?

@Lopez0090 the version of the visual, not Power BI. So you'll need to go to get the updated version of Text Filter visual. Hope that makes sense?

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/wa104381309?tab=overview

NoelG
Frequent Visitor

I removed the existing app and downloaded the version you provided, and it still shows the "Visual is not supported and will be deprecated" message.  Any advice?

NoelG_0-1635265006832.png

brusser
Frequent Visitor

This accepted solution is not correct. There is no newer version of the visual.

The "Accepted Solution" does not appear to be correct.   The latest available version in the marketplace is v1.2.1.0 dated 8/25/2020, and this is what I have installed and is giving the "Visual is not supported and will be deprecated" message.

@cgundlack I believe you are correct.

@Lopez0090 from what I can see, although there is no formal announcement as yet to the Text Filter visual, the Search function has been updated to include fuzzy matching capabilities that ignore leading and ending spaces, ignore capital and lowercase letters, etc.  Although it is not as yet matched to the Text Filter capabilities, it is likely to be a replacement (in the short-term anyway).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.