Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bvilten
Helper II
Helper II

Help with Path sort of

I have a table from AD

indexuser.__indexManager_Level_06manager.__indexManager_Level_05Manager_Level_04employeeIDuserPrincipalNameMgrPrincipalNameManager_PathPathLength
93Full NameUser NameMgr NameMgr Name Direct (903)Mgr Name Next Level(354)FN1234Full.Name@mail.comDirect.Manager@mail.com354|903|933

I am trying to build a dropdown filter that reflects the logged in user and all their reports not just direct report. Using these two measures I have made it work for a given manager and direct reports.

ReportViewer = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

// This measure below checks to see if the logged in user is a manager
// if not all datea are restricted to the logged in user id by adding MgrUserFilter directly // to a measure where MgrUserFilter is 1

MgrUserFilter = 
IF(
    SELECTEDVALUE(TechMgrEmail[MgrPrincipalName])  = [ReportViewer] || SELECTEDVALUE(TechMgrEmail[userPrincipalName])  = [ReportViewer] ,1,0
)

I want to have logged in user 903 see user 93 and logged in user 354 should see 903 and 93. The path comes with the table. there are 15,000 plus rows so recreating a path would be painful.

I would truly appreciate your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @bvilten 

To check whether a particular user should be visible (i.e. whether they are either the logged in user or somewhere below the logged in user in the hierarchy), you can check whether the Index of the current user is in the Manager_Path of each user.

You could write your MgrUserFilter as this:

MgrUserFilter =
VAR CurrentUserIndex =
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        TechMgrEmail[index],
        TechMgrEmail[userPrincipalName], [ReportViewer]
    )
RETURN
    -- Return 0/1
    INT (
        PATHCONTAINS ( SELECTEDVALUE ( TechMgrEmail[Manager_Path] ), CurrentUserIndex )
    )

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @bvilten 

To check whether a particular user should be visible (i.e. whether they are either the logged in user or somewhere below the logged in user in the hierarchy), you can check whether the Index of the current user is in the Manager_Path of each user.

You could write your MgrUserFilter as this:

MgrUserFilter =
VAR CurrentUserIndex =
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        TechMgrEmail[index],
        TechMgrEmail[userPrincipalName], [ReportViewer]
    )
RETURN
    -- Return 0/1
    INT (
        PATHCONTAINS ( SELECTEDVALUE ( TechMgrEmail[Manager_Path] ), CurrentUserIndex )
    )

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thank you Owen,

You provided the exact solution I needed. I had finally stumbled across the VLOOKUP function but wasn't sure how to apply it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.