Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

BGuttmann
Regular Visitor

2 DAX Questions

Hi, I am trying to figure out where I am going wrong with the below DAX Expression 

=IF(AND(YEAR([Demand Sent]=YEAR(TODAY())),WEEKNUM([Demand Sent]=WEEKNUM(TODAY())),FORMAT([Demand Sent],"ddd"),""))

[Demand Sent] is a field that is either a date, or is blank. I am trying to get the dax expression to return "Mon" or "Tue" or "Wed" etc. if the date in this field is from the current week (Monday - Sunday) or return blank if its not.  the last peice, FORMAT([Demand Sent],"ddd"),""))  is giving me problems.

The second question is how can I use something comparable to vlookup in dax? I currently am using a vlookup to return a formula to then be applied to the current column.. this works in excel but not sure how to do it, or if its possible, to do this in dax.. 

=TODAY()-OFFSET($A22,0,VLOOKUP($AT22,BucketIDTable!G:I,3,FALSE)-1,1,1)

Any help with either question would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @BGuttmann,

If you need check the year, you can use YEAR function.
Column = IF(WEEKNUM(Table1[Date])=WEEKNUM(TODAY())&&YEAR(Table1[Date])=YEAR(TODAY()),,SWITCH(WEEKDAY(Table1[Date]),1,"Sunday",2,"Monday",3,"Tuesday",4,"Wednesday",5,"Thursday",6,"Friday",7,"Saturday"),"Other Week")

And the week is start from Sunday.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Power Pivot is very different to Excel, and it is very common for Excel Pros to take an approach like this. But I am almost certain there is a better way to do what you want. It looks like you only have a single table. If you want to know day names, the. You should load a calendar table, create a relationship, and use the day name from the calendar table. http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

Your VLOOKUP question is also probably the wrong question.  Can you describe your data and what you want to achieve?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Okay - i saw how to add the Calendar table and went ahead and did so. Can you tell me what the formula would be to check if a column date is from the current week and if so, return monday, tues,wed, thur,fri,sat or sun?

Hi @BGuttmann,

To return weekday name if the date belong to current week, you can use the DAX below.
Column = IF(WEEKNUM(Table1[Date])=WEEKNUM(TODAY()),SWITCH(WEEKDAY(Table1[Date]),1,"Sunday",2,"Monday",3,"Tuesday",4,"Wednesday",5,"Thursday",6,"Friday",7,"Saturday"),"Other Week")

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi - I just noticed that I dont think this is checking to make sure that the date is also from the current year - only the current week - how can I add that in? Also, is the "Current Week" being calculated for Monday - Sunday?

Hi @BGuttmann,

If you need check the year, you can use YEAR function.
Column = IF(WEEKNUM(Table1[Date])=WEEKNUM(TODAY())&&YEAR(Table1[Date])=YEAR(TODAY()),,SWITCH(WEEKDAY(Table1[Date]),1,"Sunday",2,"Monday",3,"Tuesday",4,"Wednesday",5,"Thursday",6,"Friday",7,"Saturday"),"Other Week")

And the week is start from Sunday.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Also, so how is this linking to the Calendar Table? Can I shorten the weekday names to 3 letters? (i.e. mon, tue,wed,thur)

Okay, great - and one last question while I have you, I am using the below to form a unique string of numbers to identify what group a  particular file should fall into..

=CALCULATE(COUNT([Media Received])+0&COUNT([Demand Generated])+0&COUNT([Demand Atty Review])+0&COUNT([Demand Atty Approved])+0&COUNT([Demand Rejected])+0)&COUNT([Demand Sent])+0&COUNT([Demand Returned Date])+0&COUNT([Client Affidavit Requested Date])+0&COUNT([Client Affidavit Received])+0&COUNT([FDCPA Val Req Rec])+0&COUNT([Validation Letter Generated])+0&COUNT([Validation Reviewed By Atty])+0&COUNT([Validation Rejected])+0&COUNT([Validation Approved])+0&COUNT([Validation Sent])+0&COUNT([Complaint Generated Date])+0&COUNT([Complaint Reviewed By Attorney])+0&COUNT([Complaint Approved])+0)&CONCATENATE([DS<40 Days],[DR>DS]))

this is giving me an error though - where am I going wrong? I just want it to be a 1 if the field has a date and 0 if not..

Sorry - guess I may have answered my own question here... would this be correct for the string of 1's and 0's or is there a better way to do it?

=CALCULATE(COUNT([Media Received])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Demand Generated])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Demand Atty Review])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Demand Atty Approved])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Demand Rejected])+0)&CALCULATE(COUNT([Demand Sent])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Demand Returned Date])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Client Affidavit Requested Date])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Client Affidavit Received])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([FDCPA Val Req Rec])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Validation Letter Generated])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Validation Reviewed By Atty])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Validation Rejected])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Validation Approved])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Validation Sent])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Complaint Generated Date])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Complaint Reviewed By Attorney])+0&CALCULATE(COUNT([Complaint Approved])+0)))))))))))))))))&CONCATENATE([DS<40 Days],[DR>DS])

I see - okay, so is the "calendar table" just adding a column? I dont see how to add a new table without importing data to powerpivot.

as to the vlookup -- what i am trying to do is take value (what I am calling a bucket) and then look that up in a vlookup.. which then tells me which column to subtract today() from.. basically, I want to see how long a file has been in a certain "bucket" for..

to determine a bucket, I am using a formula to give me a string of numbers,, 1 = the date is populated, 0 = the date is not..

so, 11111001110000 - lets say is bucket 

I would use vlookup to find that 11111001110000 is int he bucket "Document Generated - Needs Review"

Then, at this stage, where my question stemmed from, I am using vlookup to then lookup Document Generated - Needs review and return the formula which would be TODAY() minus the column "Document Generated"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.