Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IntaBruce
Helper II
Helper II

Wrong total?

I have a table of staff which contains their day rates and a table of allocations which contains numbers of days for a given staff member to a given project in a given period.
I want a measure that will calculate the cost per person per project per period so I can display it in a table

= sum(Allocations[Days]) * SUM(Resources[Rate]) works fine at the resource line level but the total is incorrect for all resources.  I think this is because this measure is summing the rates for all resources before multipling by the number of days, instaed of adding up all the line leve values.
Does that make sense?  And how do I write a measure to fix it?
IntaBruce_0-1690386149461.png

1 REPLY 1
IntaBruce
Helper II
Helper II

Ok, so how cool is ChatGPT!  After 2 hours of no replies but 28 views I thought I'd give the AI a test, and it gave me the solution in seconds!!  Feel free to critique but it worked for me 🙂

Here's the AI response to the exact same question:

To calculate the cost per person per project per period correctly, you need to use a measure that considers the aggregation at the appropriate levels. In this case, you need to calculate the cost for each allocation (staff member to project in a given period) and then aggregate those individual allocation costs correctly.

To do this, you can use an iterator function like SUMX to iterate over each allocation and calculate the cost for that specific allocation. Here's how you can write the measure:

CostPerAllocation = SUMX ( Allocations, Allocations[Days] * LOOKUPVALUE(Resources[Rate], Resources[Staff], Allocations[Staff]) )

Let's break down the measure:

1. SUMX: This is the iterator function that iterates over each row in the Allocations table.
  2. Allocations[Days]: This retrieves the number of days from the current row of the Allocations table.
  3. LOOKUPVALUE: This function looks up the corresponding rate from the Resources table based on the Staff member in the current row of the Allocations table.
  4. Allocations[Staff]: This provides the Staff member from the current row of the Allocations table to the LOOKUPVALUE function.

The measure calculates the cost for each individual allocation (Staff member to project in a given period) and then you can use this measure to correctly calculate the total cost per person per project per period.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.