Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Invisibleman
Helper II
Helper II

With a slicer and selectedvalue I use a switch. But is there also an option without the slicer

Dear all,

For my project, I want to create 1 measure, that will need to calculate based on a variable value. With a slicer, I use the switch( command and selectedvalue to create a variable and then the formula I need. For this I have the table with the selections 1. Current Year, 2. Previous Year, 3. All Years

But now I want to have a switch function without the slicer. where the variable in the formula will be Variable.

Let's say I have the measure with the formula Check the data = calculate( calendar[CurrentYearYesNo] = Variable.

In Another measure I then want to have something like GoToChecktheDate = Variable = "Current Year", 'Check the Data' or maybe something like GoToChecktheData = Check the Data [Current Year]

Is there any option/posibility in power bi to do so?

Thanks in advance,

Hans

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@tamerj1 @Invisibleman Here's my best guess on this one. Create a disconnected table with the text values, 1 per row of:

Column1

YTD

QTD

MTD

Let's call this table "NotASlicer". In your measure, then you would do this:

Measure =
  VAR __NotASlicer = MAX('NotASlicer'[Column1])
  VAR __Result = 
    SWITCH( __NotASlicer,
      // put some code here
    )
RETURN
  __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Invisibleman 

Would you please clarify further perhaps with some screenshots and a couple of well illustrated examples?

Hello tamerj1,

I am sorry, but I can't get a screenshot, as I don't get it to work, as I want. But I make some more explanation in the word document. Maybe this will also help. To write all down in this tipic, I think it will be too long.

See here my word document with more details; Word document for explanation 

Thanks in advance,

Hans

@Invisibleman 

The subject is clear. What is not so clear is your requirement. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Hello Tamerj1,

What I do try to achieve, is to get a sort of slicer selection without the use of a slicer. So I am in general looking for some sort of a variable that will work thru out the whole project. And not like the VAR which seems only to be working inside a measure and not outside.

So I can make the coding shorter, easier and I guess it will also make it working faster.

Regards,

Hans

@Invisibleman 

I have a feeling that what you want to accomplish is not that complex. Yet, I still cannot figure out what exactly are you trying to describe. What do you mean by "to get a sort of slicer selection without the use of a slicer"? 

Hello Tamerj1,

What I mean by this, is when you have a slicer and you select 1 button, then you can do a switch call from there. As you have the slicer's value by the selection of the button. Like you have the 3 buttons; MTD, QTD & YTD, when pressing the YTD button you can use the SELECTEDVALUE and call the switch function to calcuate the YTD command that you have set. 

But I don't want to have a button to press, I want to do thru a measure. Which will work as if you pressed a button YTD (without actually have such button), but not actually pressing one.

I hope this will help.

Regards,

Hans

@Greg_Deckler 

would you mind help out on this. I'm having difficulties understanding the requirement. Feeling a little bit embarrassed. Appreciate you valuable input. 

@tamerj1 @Invisibleman Here's my best guess on this one. Create a disconnected table with the text values, 1 per row of:

Column1

YTD

QTD

MTD

Let's call this table "NotASlicer". In your measure, then you would do this:

Measure =
  VAR __Result = 
    SWITCH( __NotASlicer,
      // put some code here
    )
RETURN
  __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello Greg,

I have now a problem with the formula and I have no idea why/how to solve.

I am trying to have the same situation, but with multiple selections, and also not the MTD, QTD, YTD, but here it is always showing the me the highest value/name. So I can't make the selection as it is in your example, which does work.

Can you also please help me with this? I have added the excel file, I used for the data and also the test Power BI, with your formula (MTD, QTD & YTD) and also mine.

The Excel file with the data 

The Power BI File 

Thanks in advance

Hans

@Greg_Deckler 

I do understand the code you send to me and also what is happening there. Thanks for that. But untill now I still don't understand, in the way I can get this to work from another measure (without the use of any slicer or such). I am trying to find the answer on the internet, but there they all are speaking about the VAR function inside a measure and not in the way how I can address this VAR measure from another measure assigning the value to the VAR measure function. In your example the ____NotASlicer.

As example I have the measure; SendValueToVAR and I want to have the VAR calculate the QTD, how do I write that code? 

I can't use measure["QTD"] as when I want to addres the measure I only can say measure[Column1]. So here I am very stuck. Can you please help me with that part too??

Thanks in advance,

Hans

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the measure. But I don't understand, how I will need to call this measure, from another measure, to get the MTD, QTD or YTD which ever I at that moment need. Or can I just call it like measure["MTD"], Measure[QTD] or measure[YTD] depending on that what I need?

I'm sorry, I am trying to understand, as I am still somewhat new to this 🙂

Regards,

Hans

Hello Greg,

I found it out, and in general very easy and also logical. But I didn't think about this. But all you need to do is a measure and use a filter. For testing I had created a simple measure and a simple measure to get the result;

Measure =
  VAR __Result =
    SWITCH( __NotASlicer,
      "MTD","MTD Is being selected",
      "YTD","YTD Is being selected",
      "QTD","QTD Is being selected"
    )
RETURN
  __Result

And the test measure I have;
Measure 2 = CALCULATE(
    'NotASlicer'[Measure],
    'NotASlicer'[Column1] IN { "QTD" })

I'm sure you know this, but I mention this, as maybe someone else is also looking for such.

I want to thank you both Tamerj1 and Greg for the help.

Regards,
Hans

@Greg_Deckler 

Wow! That was such a super fast response 😅

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.