Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stribor45
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Update existing column value based on custom column

I have table A with the column City.  I have a custom column in this table which basically does search in table B city column and if it finds it put 'Found" in that column.  I would like to update the 'Call Status" if the city is found in another table. 

so before search

Call IDCall StatusCityCustom
12345NANYFound
32145NALANot Found
34567NALVNot Found

and after

Call IDCall StatusCityCustom
12345City Found!!!NYFound
32145NALANot Found
34567NALVNot Found

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @stribor45 ,

you can capitalize or proper both columns, before FindTex comparison. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
stribor45
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@tackytechtom is there a way that this can be done in DAX since I am a little more familiar with it and would also like to add some other pieces to this small code adjustment

hi @stribor45 ,

Try to plot a table visual with Call ID column, City Column, Custom Column and a measure like:

Status = 
IF(
    MAX(TableA[Custom]) = "Found",
    "Found!!!", "NA"
)

but custom columns have to be generated first. where does your formula look into Table B to find a matching value in a column of Table  formula has to go through each row of Table A and look if there is a city in the current row that matches the city column in table B and if found put the word "match" in the custom column

hi @stribor45 ,

not sure if i fully get you, try to plot a table visual with call id colum, city column and a measure like:

Status = 
IF(
    MAX(TableA[City]) IN VALUES(TableB[City]),
    "Found!!!", "NA"
)

it worked like:

FreemanZ_0-1700791947044.png

Is there a way to modify this so it ignores the case when comparing? It works for me when I compare "Atlanta" to "Atlanta" but it doesn't when it is "Atlanta" to "AtlanTA".

Table2WithSubstring = Table.AddColumn(#"Table A", "CitySubstringMatch", each not List.IsEmpty(List.FindText(#"Table B"[City], [City Name])))

hi @stribor45 ,

you can capitalize or proper both columns, before FindTex comparison. 

Ahh. I see what you mean now. Thank you. This works fine but when I was posting this I posted a very simplified example so it is easier to communicate. What I am trying to do is a little bit more complex as I have to match other values. Table A and B also have State and ZIP codes as well so those need to match as well. Sorry, it was my error since I simplified the example for better understanding. My apologies.

As an example for each row in Table A I have to find if there is a matching row in Table B that has the same column values

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @stribor45 ,

Before:

tackytechtom_0-1700683818499.png

After:

tackytechtom_1-1700683830689.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyNjFV0lHycwQRkUDCLb80L0UpVidaydjIECHnA1aQX6KAJG9iamYOlw9DlY8FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Call ID" = _t, #"Call Status" = _t, City = _t, Custom = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Call ID", Int64.Type}, {"Call Status", type text}, {"City", type text}, {"Custom", type text}}),
    #"Replace Values" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [Call Status],each if [Custom] = "Found" then "Found!!!" else [Call Status],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Call Status"})
in
    #"Replace Values"

I took the way of doing this from here:

https://www.tackytech.blog/how-to-swiftly-take-over-power-query/#replace-values-in-column

Let me know if this solves your query 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.