Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marc_slater

Unable to get LOOKUPVALUE to work correctly

Hi, 

I am attempting to use LOOKUPVALUE as a VLOOKUP, as I cannot use merge, as I do not have unique identifiers.

I am new to DAX so I would like some guidance as to whether I am using the function correctly or how I could potentially do this easier.

I currently have a table which includes a lot of information, but the main column that I'm using is the 'Highest Degree' column in a table called 'EMD Highest'. I have created another table which has the list of all degrees which are found in the Highest Degree column, along with the NQF Level of each degree, in a table called 'Degree + NQF' (which can be found below).

I would like to create a column in the EMD Highest table which pulls in the NQF Level from the 'Degree + NQF' table for the specific degree that an individual in my dataset has. For example, if an individual has a Bachelor of Arts, the created NQF column would show a 7. For a Diploma, it would show a 6, etc.

Please advise whether LOOKUPVALUE is the correct DAX formula to be using for this, or is there a more efficient way to do this?

Degree & NQF table.PNGHighest Degree ColumnHighest Degree Column

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marc_slater ,

Try using fuzzy matching in PowerQuery Editor.

vcgaomsft_1-1683858028466.png

Appropriate adjustment of the parameters of the similarity threshold.

vcgaomsft_0-1683857939057.png

vcgaomsft_2-1683858663217.png

DAX does not do as good a job as the M function in fuzzy matching.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marc_slater ,

Try using fuzzy matching in PowerQuery Editor.

vcgaomsft_1-1683858028466.png

Appropriate adjustment of the parameters of the similarity threshold.

vcgaomsft_0-1683857939057.png

vcgaomsft_2-1683858663217.png

DAX does not do as good a job as the M function in fuzzy matching.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Thanks, I will try this out and get back to you
yyzheng12
Helper I
Helper I

Based on your table descriptions, it should work. The key for LOOKUPVALUE() to work is that only one unique value for the result. In your case, if a degree has only one unique value (no blanks, no other values) in NQF Level, then LOOKUPVALUE() should work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors