Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

query_lord_1
Frequent Visitor

Streamline Cumulative Total Measure

Hey Everyone,

I have 2 essentially identical measures that give the cumulative total of a bank account's balance based on all of the transactions as of that day. The formula is as follows:

Running Total Base Amount =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION[Base Amount] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION),
        (VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION[Bank Balance Transaction Date Filter]) <= MAX (VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION[Bank Balance Transaction Date Filter])
    )
)
The formula works, but takes forever to load, wondering if there is any way to optimtize this formula for a shorter loading time.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @query_lord_1 ,

You may try SUMX function instead of SUM function. In general, when working with large data sets, the SUMX function is more efficient than the SUM function because it computes row by row instead of aggregating the data first.

Running Total Base Amount =
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION ),
        ( VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION[Bank Balance Transaction Date Filter] )
            <= MAX ( VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION[Bank Balance Transaction Date Filter] )
    ),
    VW_KPI_BANK_TRANSACTION[Base Amount]
)

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

This does not fix my problem. I've tried consolidating the rows (prev 1.5m) down to just after a certain date and only using a total for each day rather than haveing all individual transactions by usng SUMMARIZE to group them by that criteria in a different table. I am now  down to 50k rows, but still takes too long to load 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors