Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kagy100
Advocate II
Advocate II

Slicer for cumulative slicing

Hi Everyone, 

I have a dilemma . . .

Is Power BI capable of cumulative slicing. For example, if I have a slicer for running total, and I select $200, I would want to see Items A, B and C instead of just Item C. 

Item

Value

Running Total

Bands

A

$50

$50

<$50

B

$100

$150

>$50 and <=$150

C

$50

$200

>$150 and <=$200

D

$150

$350

>$200 and <=$350

E

$50

$400

>$350 and <=$400

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks. I tried it but it wasn't successful. I have hence deployed a workaround which involves button slicers. These button slicers borrow logic from calculated columns. Taking the above data as an example, I created 3 calculated columns: <200, <350 and >350 using IF logic. 

I then created three slicers and added the calculated columns to them. Ensure that you filter out any blank values.

So, if the user clicks on <200, he is presented with Item A and B.

Hope this solution helps others out there looking for a similar workaround. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
johnt75
Super User
Super User

If you have a measure defined for the running total then you should be able to use that as a filter on the visual to show items less than or equal to 200

Thanks for your reply. That will not work for the audience. Is there a way to have it as a slicer on the report ?

You could set up a numeric range parameter for use in the slicer then create a measure like

Item is visible =
IF ( [Running total] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Slicer table'[Value] ), 1 )

Use the measure as a visual level filter to only show when the value is 1.

Thanks. I tried it but it wasn't successful. I have hence deployed a workaround which involves button slicers. These button slicers borrow logic from calculated columns. Taking the above data as an example, I created 3 calculated columns: <200, <350 and >350 using IF logic. 

I then created three slicers and added the calculated columns to them. Ensure that you filter out any blank values.

So, if the user clicks on <200, he is presented with Item A and B.

Hope this solution helps others out there looking for a similar workaround. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.