Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kagy100
Advocate II
Advocate II

Slicer for cumulative slicing

Hi Everyone, 

I have a dilemma . . .

Is Power BI capable of cumulative slicing. For example, if I have a slicer for running total, and I select $200, I would want to see Items A, B and C instead of just Item C. 

Item

Value

Running Total

Bands

A

$50

$50

<$50

B

$100

$150

>$50 and <=$150

C

$50

$200

>$150 and <=$200

D

$150

$350

>$200 and <=$350

E

$50

$400

>$350 and <=$400

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks. I tried it but it wasn't successful. I have hence deployed a workaround which involves button slicers. These button slicers borrow logic from calculated columns. Taking the above data as an example, I created 3 calculated columns: <200, <350 and >350 using IF logic. 

I then created three slicers and added the calculated columns to them. Ensure that you filter out any blank values.

So, if the user clicks on <200, he is presented with Item A and B.

Hope this solution helps others out there looking for a similar workaround. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
johnt75
Super User
Super User

If you have a measure defined for the running total then you should be able to use that as a filter on the visual to show items less than or equal to 200

Thanks for your reply. That will not work for the audience. Is there a way to have it as a slicer on the report ?

You could set up a numeric range parameter for use in the slicer then create a measure like

Item is visible =
IF ( [Running total] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Slicer table'[Value] ), 1 )

Use the measure as a visual level filter to only show when the value is 1.

Thanks. I tried it but it wasn't successful. I have hence deployed a workaround which involves button slicers. These button slicers borrow logic from calculated columns. Taking the above data as an example, I created 3 calculated columns: <200, <350 and >350 using IF logic. 

I then created three slicers and added the calculated columns to them. Ensure that you filter out any blank values.

So, if the user clicks on <200, he is presented with Item A and B.

Hope this solution helps others out there looking for a similar workaround. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors