Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple Division driving me crazy!

Hi all 

I just can't seem to understand why my tabular model is coming up with the wrong answer. 

All I'm doing is dividing one column by the other.

='Stock Analysis'[Physical Quantity (R)]/[Net Usage]

Division.PNG

I didn't need to use variables but I've tried lots of different ways to divide it but it keeps coming up with the same problem. 

19.77686 / 0.014370

The answer is 1,978 not 1,376. 

Note; the first column Physical Quantity (R) is a hard number created via power query.

The second number is a calcuated column which I'll include but I don't see how this should have an affect on this simple division:

Net Usage='Stock Analysis'[Consumption Quantity 12 Months]+'Stock Analysis'[Sold Quantity 12 months]

Consumption Quantity 12 Months=[Pick Quantity In Previous 12 Months]

Pick Quantity In Previous 12 Months:=
VAR CurrentDate = TODAY()
VAR PreviousDate = Date(Year(CurrentDate),MONTH(CurrentDate)-12,DAY(CurrentDate))
VAR RESULT =
CALCULATE( SUM([QtyReporting]),
FILTER( 'Primary Date Table',
'Primary Date Table'[Date] >= PreviousDate && 'Primary Date Table'[Date] <= CurrentDate
)
)
RETURN
RESULT

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi !

I think there is some misunderstanding, the answer for 19.77686 / 0.014370 = 1376 ~

You can use the calculator again, see below image;

CalcCalc

Semms like you are ignoring [437] while doing division. The actual divisor is [0.01437] not [0.01]. If you want only 2 decimal places to be used in divisor you can Round Off the number to 2 decimal places.

Regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,Can you share a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

First, we need to check is the value of the Numerator and denominator is as expected or not

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

Thanks for your response. 

This is a live connection to SSAS tabular model not a Power BI tabular model so sharing the model would not be possible. 

The value of the numerator is the second column along, Physical Quantity (R) @ 19.77

The value of the denominator is the 3rd column from the right, Net Usage @ 0.014

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors