Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mp390988
Frequent Visitor

SUMX with CALCULATETABLE inside

Hello,

I understand context transition happens when we have calculate/calculatetable or a named measure inside an interator. For example, if I create a calculated column and enter this formula =CALCULATE(SUMX(Table1, Table1[Field1]*Table1[Field2]) then I know the current row in the calculated column gets passed on as filter when the SUMX scans Table1 and we should see different values in each row in the calculated column.

However, I don't understand what exactly happens when we create a calculate column that contains a CALCULATETABLE inside SUMX? For example, this is my formula inside the calculated column:

calculated column=SUMX(

CALCULATETABLE(Orders, Orders[Freight]>100, Orders[ShipVia]=3),

Orders[Freight])
)

This formula then creates the below output. As you can see, we have distinct values appearing only in rows where the Freight > 100 and the ShipVia = 3. 

mp390988_1-1685697409539.png

I was expecting to see repeated values in all rows because the SUMX is not wrapped around CALCULATE. For example, when we have something like calculated column = SUMX(Products, Products[Price]*Products[Qty]) we get the same repeated values down the column but if we wrap this formula inside CALCULATE we get a unique value for each row. So the question is, why does my above formula when its not wrapped inside a CALCULATE is still giving distinct values only for when Frieght > 100 and ShipVia=3.

Thank You in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

CALCULATETABLE is forcing context transition, so the current row essentially becomes the filter context. The filters on Freight and Ship Via then get merged into that context, so you are only seeing values for rows which match the Freight and Ship Via conditions. It is equivalent to writing

calculated column =
IF ( Orders[Freight] > 100 && Orders[ShipVia] = 3, Orders[Freight] )

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mp390988
Frequent Visitor

Cheers!

johnt75
Super User
Super User

CALCULATETABLE is forcing context transition, so the current row essentially becomes the filter context. The filters on Freight and Ship Via then get merged into that context, so you are only seeing values for rows which match the Freight and Ship Via conditions. It is equivalent to writing

calculated column =
IF ( Orders[Freight] > 100 && Orders[ShipVia] = 3, Orders[Freight] )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors