Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dave-ExpSC
Helper II
Helper II

Nested IF Statement too many arguments

Can someone help me with this formula.

In my DATA table I can make this IF statement work:

=IF(OR([eSource]="Electricity",[eSource]="Natural Gas"),[Quantity]*0.0036,IF([eSource]="Diesel",[Quantity]*0.0364,""))

However if I take it one step further it fails:

=IF(OR([eSource]="Electricity",[eSource]="Natural Gas"),[Quantity]*0.0036,IF([eSource]="Diesel",[Quantity]*0.0364,IF([eSource]="LPG"),[Quantity]*.0000049,""))

Formula check highlights "LPG"

How can I use the IF statement to allow more than 3 criteria

Alternatively I tried this formula within Powerpivot that only produces and Error result

=SUMX(ENERGYtbl,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="Natural Gas",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0036,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="Electricity",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0036,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="LPG",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0000049,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="Diesel",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0364,"")))))

I need to have a formula that allows me to keep adding to the formula as new energy sources get added to the project.

Help is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer your second question:

Alternatively I tried this formula within Powerpivot that only produces and Error result

=SUMX(ENERGYtbl,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="Natural Gas",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0036,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="Electricity",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0036,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="LPG",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0000049,IF(ENERGYtbl[eSource]="Diesel",ENERGYtbl[Quantity]*.0364,"")))))

You'd be better off storing the multipliers (0.0036, 0.0036, 0.0000049, ...) in your model as an additional column: ENERGYtbl[multiplier].

You then be able to create a calcaulted column 

[Something] = ENERGYtbl[Quantity] * ENERGYtbl[multiplier]

which can easily be summed

[Total] = SUM(ENERGYtbl[Something])

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer your second question:

You'd be better off storing the multipliers (0.0036, 0.0036, 0.0000049, ...) in your model as an additional column: ENERGYtbl[multiplier].

You then be able to create a calcaulted column 

[Something] = ENERGYtbl[Quantity] * ENERGYtbl[multiplier]

which can easily be summed

[Total] = SUM(ENERGYtbl[Something])

Thank you very much that's a good idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like you have an extra closing brace

=IF(OR([eSource]="Electricity",[eSource]="Natural Gas"),[Quantity]*0.0036,IF([eSource]="Diesel",[Quantity]*0.0364,IF([eSource]="LPG"),[Quantity]*.0000049,""))

Edit: and possibly missing a closing one at the end.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors