Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kjaer

If function

I have a table like this

Kjaer_0-1636914191310.png

I want to make a new measure 

Kjaer_1-1636914306549.png

But it doesn´t work. I get this error-message:

A single value for the 'item' column in the 'test' table cannot be determined. This can happen when a measurement formula refers to a column that contains many values ​​without specifying an aggregation function such as min, max, count or sum to form a single result.

Can anyone help me?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

This code should work if you are writing a calculated column that has the row context to make sense of it.

However, for a measure, it doesn't automatically know which row you're referring to when you write "test[item]", so you need to use an aggregation like MAX or SELECTEDVALUE like this:

IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( test[item] ) = "A", 1, 0 )

View solution in original post

1. I'd probably write that like this:

IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( test[item] ) IN { "A", "B", "C" }, 1, 0 )

2. Font face cannot be conditionally formatted like font color and background color can be. Not yet anyway.

You may want to vote and comment on related ideas like this one:
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=29c97607-0484-4f4a-821a-d1a43ff9fc41

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kjaer

@AlexisOlson 

Two more questions:

1. How do I write the aggregation, if I want 1 (one) if test[item] = A or if test[item] = B or if test[item] =C

2. Can the aggregation be written so if the condition is fullfilled (i.e. 1) the font shall change to Serge UI Bold

Thanks in advance

1. I'd probably write that like this:

IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( test[item] ) IN { "A", "B", "C" }, 1, 0 )

2. Font face cannot be conditionally formatted like font color and background color can be. Not yet anyway.

You may want to vote and comment on related ideas like this one:
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=29c97607-0484-4f4a-821a-d1a43ff9fc41

Kjaer

Thanks, it works 😊

But then two more questions:

1. How do I write the aggregation, if I want 1 (one) if test[item] = A or if test[item] = B or if test[item] =C

2. Can the aggregation be written so if the condition is fullfilled (i.e. 1) the font shall change to Serge UI Bold

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

This code should work if you are writing a calculated column that has the row context to make sense of it.

However, for a measure, it doesn't automatically know which row you're referring to when you write "test[item]", so you need to use an aggregation like MAX or SELECTEDVALUE like this:

IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( test[item] ) = "A", 1, 0 )

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors