Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SriKandimalla
Helper I
Helper I

How to sort TopN results based on a column not used in the function

Hello Power BI Community, 

Happy New Year to all!

I am trying to get a solution for a peculiar request. I am populating a measure in matrix to get a skyline chart. 

My DAX measure is as follows:

Skyline_Names =
var Rank = SELECTEDVALUE( Skyline[Rows] )
var Count = DISTINCTCOUNT( Table1[Name] )
var stage = SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Stages])
RETURN
IF (
NOT ISBLANK ( Rank ),
IF (
Rank <= Count,
LASTNONBLANK (
TOPN ( Rank, VALUES(Table1[Name]),Table1[Name],ASC)
)
),
stage
)

Now, this is all fine and the values in matrix are sorted based on the alphabetical order of the Table1[Name], but I need to sort based on a different column. I highlighted the part where I need to sort based on a different column eg: Table1[Price].

I tried multiple functions like SELECTCOLUMN, RANKX, etc.. but did not succeed.
I am including the source and PBIX file

I really appreciate if you have any suggestions or can help me with this. Thank you in advance!
@v-yangliu-msft @amitchandak @Greg_Deckler @ValtteriN 

4 REPLIES 4
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @SriKandimalla ,

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data. We can better understand the problem and help you.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yangliu-msft 

Thank you for your response. I am still trying to figure it out, but did not succeed. I amincluding the source file and the pbix file.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VdxQRTty-kxuHvurB8o-2cJkFhgcw2El?usp=sharing 

I created a measure based on the DAX above. Now when I plot the measure in a matrix the way I did. I have to sort the measure values based on a column "cost". Since I am using the TopN, I could not able to sort teh result of TopN based on a column that is not the project. I only can output 1 column, instead of a tabel with TopN. Please check the file and you would understand.

Thank you

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SriKandimalla , In Matrix you can sort on rows or measure (values) total using three dots.

You can not mark a measure a sort column of Name

amitchandak_0-1641524876107.png

Hello @amitchandak

Thank you for your response!

I cannot use the sort option from the matrix visual menu, It does not apply in my case because the values in the measure are only being sorted based on the alphabetical order.

The solution I am looking for is how to sort the values in the measure using DAX in the above expression. 

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors