Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HassanAshas
Helper V
Helper V

How to dynamically filter the whole fact table based upon user selection in Slicer

Hi, I have a dataset like the following, 

Emp CodeNameEmployee LocationPoolBilled HoursTotal Hours
1MattUSAUS Bank1060
1MattUSAUS State1060
2AveryUSAUS Bank20120
3AryubUSAUS Bench10120
4JacobUKUK Sports1040
4JacobUKUK Bench2040
4JacobUKCA Bench3040
5ZaraCanadaUS State2060
5ZaraCanadaCA Bench1060
6AliCanadaCA Sports20120
7JohnAustraliaUS State50120
8AlishaAustraliaUS State5060
8AlishaAustraliaUS Bench2060
9NovakCanadaCA Bench100120
10AlexUSACA Bench100120
11EmmaUSAUK Bench30120

I have another Table which is as given below, 

Employee LocationPool
USAUS Bench
USAUS State
UKUK Bench
CanadaCA Bench

These tables can be related with each other using Employee Location (however it would create a Many-to-Many Relation)

I have a report like the following,

HassanAshas_4-1681319360311.png

It has two Slicers on Employee Location and Pool, and three very simple measures. 

What I want to do is actually with the help of Employee Location Slicer, I want to filter the complete data. Using the second table given, if any Employee Location is selected then the corresponding Pools against that Employee Location, must be excluded from the whole report. 

So, for example, If I select USA, I don't want to include any rows that have Pool in {"US State", "US Bench"}. These US State and US Bench information is coming from the Other table. 

That is, following highlighted rows (Pool is highlighted) must be excluded from the table and the three measures (or from the whole dataset) 

HassanAshas_1-1681319098004.png

Similarly, if I select "UK" from the Employee Location, then following rows should be excluded from the whole report, 

HassanAshas_2-1681319163395.png

This should also work with Multi-Select in the Slicer. So, If I select UK and USA from the Slicer, then the following rows must be excluded from the Final Result 

HassanAshas_3-1681319213030.png

and if no slicer is selected (that is Employee Location is ALL then no row should be excluded. This can be very easily achieved using ISFILTERED function but I can't seem to get how can I achieve the other conditions) 

I have tried to apply a Measure at Page Level or on All Pages level but that doesn't work. Can anyone help me out in this, please? Thank you. 

If you would like to download the Power BI File, then you may do so from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmyw9SxKvzy7-QQDLl5nJ7xsJSwBpQKh/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

CNENFRNL_0-1681416289915.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

CNENFRNL_0-1681416289915.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

@CNENFRNL  Thank you! This works so perfectly well! I just got two questions if you can answer, 

First, I was able to achieve somewhat of same result but with a slightly different DAX, 

Total Billed Hours = 

VAR selected_locations = VALUES(Employees[Employee Location])

VAR Filtered_Locations_Table = 
    FILTER(
        'Location Pool Mapping', 
        'Location Pool Mapping'[Employee Location] in selected_locations
    )

var _FilteredTable = 
    FILTER(
        Employees, 
        IF(
            ISFILTERED(Employees[Employee Location]), 
            NOT(
                Employees[Pool] in 
                SUMMARIZE(Filtered_Locations_Table, [Pool])
            ),
            TRUE()
        )
    )

var _FilteredBilledHrs = 
    SUMX(
        _FilteredTable, 
        Employees[Billed Hours]
    )

var _NonFilteredBilledHrs = SUM(Employees[Billed Hours])

var _Result = 
    IF(
        _FilteredBilledHrs, 
        _NonFilteredBilledHrs
    )

return _Result

I believe that using TREATAS is more optimized than my approach, can you tell me if I am right to believe that?

The main question, however, that now I have three measures. My problem is I need to copy paste this FILTERING CODE in each measure and then use this Filtered Table for my calculations,

VAR selected_locations = VALUES(Employees[Employee Location])

VAR Filtered_Locations_Table = 
    FILTER(
        'Location Pool Mapping', 
        'Location Pool Mapping'[Employee Location] in selected_locations
    )

var _FilteredTable = 
    FILTER(
        Employees, 
        IF(
            NOT(
                Employees[Pool] in 
                SUMMARIZE(Filtered_Locations_Table, [Pool])
            ),
            TRUE()
        )
    )

This is very repetitive and bad practice. That is, if I want to change one thing, I will have to change in all the measures and etc.

I also don't have the option to use Measure to return my filtered table (because measure can't return a table). Is it any possible way to make it cleaner? Like I could create one function/measure and then call that measure in all my DAX Measures? (just like I create a measure to return my filtered table and use that measure in all my DAX Codes) 

1. performance
    Propagating filters using TREATAS in DAX - SQLBI
    Here's a detailed comparison among major ways of filtering for your reference.
  2. repetition
    AFAIK, only scalar result is permitted for a measure. 

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @HassanAshas 

place the following measure in the filter pane of the table visual. Select "is not blank" then apply the filter 

FilterMeasure =
COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( Table1, NOT ( Table1[Pool] IN VALUES ( Table2[Pool] ) ) ) )

Hi @tamerj1 

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

Unfortunately it didn't quite solve the issue. Not sure what's the problem, but for some reason, I am not able to place this measure as visual level filter on my Card Visuals 

When I place it, it doesn't allow me to apply the filter on Card,

HassanAshas_0-1681326004649.png

It did work on the Table Visual but I needed to show all the records if nothing is selected in the Slicer. So, I added an IsFiltered condition at the top of measure, but after adding that, my filter did not work for some reason 😕 Not sure where I went wrong. 
I used the following Measure, 

Filter Measure = 
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Location Pool Mapping'[Employee Location]),
    COUNTROWS(FILTER(Employees, NOT(Employees[Pool] in VALUES('Location Pool Mapping'[Pool])))), 
)

@HassanAshas 

No it doesn't work with card visuals. Each measure needs to include the filter code within its DAX. Fr simplicity CALCULATE - FILTER arrangement will do. 

How can I include the filter code within the each measure DAX? Can you please help out in this? 
I tried to do it but it didn't work for me. 

I tried something like this (only considering Billed Hours Sum Measure for now), 

Total Billed Hours = 

var _FilteredTable = 
    FILTER(
        Employees, 
        NOT(Employees[Pool] in VALUES('Location Pool Mapping'[Pool]))
    )

var _filteredSUM = 
    SUMX(
            _FilteredTable, 
            Employees[Billed Hours]
        )
var _NonFilteredSUM = SUM(Employees[Billed Hours])

var _BilledHours = 
    IF(
        _filteredSUM, 
        _NonFilteredSUM
    )

return _BilledHours

The result it gave me was this (Please check Total Billed Hours) 

HassanAshas_0-1681330286903.png

The problem with the result is it has now excluded all the pools in my other table, rather than only excluding the pools which were against USA. 

That is, only US State and US Bench were supposed to be excluded from the result, but it is also excluding CA Bench and UK Bench whicch are against the "Canada" and "UK" Locations, respectively
I tried to apply a Filter within the VALUES Command, but again it did not work for me. 

Not sure how can I do it with CALCULATE Function, I haven't tried it and I usually try to avoid it as it most often causes more problems than I should be getting. More of a follower of @Greg_Deckler  on this, lol. Haven't really used CALCULATE for quite a while, and that's why I am hesitant to use it now for this as well 😕 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors