Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JustinDoh1
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to add drop down / list of selection to one Parameter?

I am shareing PBIX file here.

I am trying to find a way to dynamically reduce the number of Parameters that I created from 41 into 1 with a some way to select choices.

Bottom is just an illustration of Parameters.

JustinDoh1_0-1679356271782.png

My uploaded/attached file only has two parameters, but in actual PBI files, I have about 41 parameters:

JustinDoh1_1-1679356395410.png

What is happening on the PBI file is, depending on the value that I enter at Parameter, value of Forecast Stars would change like 1,2,3,4,5 (depending on input value). 

JustinDoh1_2-1679356515386.png

What I am trying to do is: instead of having multiple parameters created (like 41), I would like to just have One parameter with a way to select options like (ART, CAL etc.).

Is it possible logically with DAX?

10 REPLIES 10
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @JustinDoh1 
I'm not really sure I understand your requirement. In your original post, the 2nd screenshot shows all slicers selected at 70. If all slicers shall have the same value then the whole SWITCH statement is not required and variable 

_Param shall be the SELECTEDVALUE of the only one slicer that you would need. 
However, I can see that the 3rd screenshot shows different selections (ART is 384 and CAL is 234). In this case what could be the meaning of your question? If each Provider requires different selection then there must a separate selection for each provider. Please clarify.

@tamerj1 Thank you for your comment and your interest on this issue.

I have uploaded the updated PBIX file here.

So, basically, the number 384 or 234 is not relevant. It is just an example to show in the illustration.

The main objective is, instead of having so many parameters, I would like to possibly combine two/more together to reduce visuals.

So, whenever user moves a slider, it will also change the value on the "Forecast Stars" together for ART and CAL instead of using each slider separately.

As per @wdx223_Daniel , I tried creating a new table called "NewTable1", but I am not sure what to do now. 

I tried with "slicer" visual, and possibly try to join this table ("NewTable1") with a fact table ("tblDataMain"), but I am not sure what else I could do.

BTW, "NewTable" is my first approach to mimic what @wdx223_Daniel put on the post using Parameter.

"NewTable1" is a table that I created after using @wdx223_Daniel 's second feedback. 

Thanks!

JustinDoh1_0-1686609646852.png

JustinDoh1_1-1686609817961.png

JustinDoh1
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@wdx223_Daniel Hi, I would like to follow up on my inquiry. Appreciated for help.

suggest to integrate your tables  as below

wdx223_Daniel_0-1681097432444.png

Hi @wdx223_Daniel 

First, thank you so much for helping me.

I uploaded my PBIX file.

When I used the same code (using Parameters), it generated like this:

JustinDoh1_0-1683925794613.png

Why is it different from yours?
Thanks.

the difference between those two tables is,

you use parameter function to create the table 0-500, and that give it a column name of "NewTable".

@wdx223_Daniel I got it now. Now, the question is how do I integrate this table into visual? I think the table is good, but critical portion is how do I express into visual? What type of Visual should I use?

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

you can combine your 41 tables into one with a column to lablel ART, CAL.

@wdx223_Daniel Thank you for your help. Is it possible for you to illustrate visually little more / save the updated PBIX file? I tried adding column to an existing Parameter, but it does not seem to work.

@wdx223_Daniel Hi, I would like to follow up on my inquiry. Appreciated for help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors