Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RJSuttlemyre
Frequent Visitor

Finding the average and standard deviation in the counts of specifc events

Hi -- I've searched and tried to find this, but can't seem to figure it out.  Please help!

I am working trying to count categorical variables.  I have a table that has a coulumn named Event Group.  In it, it has a column called "name."  I have figured out how to count the number of occurences of event A with the following:

Count of A =

CALCULATE(COUNTX('DIM-Event Group',COUNT('DIM-Event Group'[Name])),'DIM-Event Group'[Name] = "A")

I now want to calculate the average and standard deviation per month, year, and overall time period for the count of A in this table, but every time I try to use my count measure I get an error telling me it is looking for a column.  

Any suggestions on this?  Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RJSuttlemyre , Try a measure like

Countrows(Summarize(Filter('DIM-Event Group','DIM-Event Group'[Name] = "A"),'DIM-Event Group'[Name]))

Thanks for the reply -- I really appreciate it.

I tried it and it compiles, but gives the answer of 1 in line chart or column chart, as well as a table.

Did I do something wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors