Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RJSuttlemyre
Frequent Visitor

Finding the average and standard deviation in the counts of specifc events

Hi -- I've searched and tried to find this, but can't seem to figure it out.  Please help!

I am working trying to count categorical variables.  I have a table that has a coulumn named Event Group.  In it, it has a column called "name."  I have figured out how to count the number of occurences of event A with the following:

Count of A =

CALCULATE(COUNTX('DIM-Event Group',COUNT('DIM-Event Group'[Name])),'DIM-Event Group'[Name] = "A")

I now want to calculate the average and standard deviation per month, year, and overall time period for the count of A in this table, but every time I try to use my count measure I get an error telling me it is looking for a column.  

Any suggestions on this?  Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RJSuttlemyre , Try a measure like

Countrows(Summarize(Filter('DIM-Event Group','DIM-Event Group'[Name] = "A"),'DIM-Event Group'[Name]))

Thanks for the reply -- I really appreciate it.

I tried it and it compiles, but gives the answer of 1 in line chart or column chart, as well as a table.

Did I do something wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors