Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RJV83
Regular Visitor

Dynamic Names axis based on selected filter.

Hi All,

I've a question about a dynamic axis in charts. I have sales data from different countries. To put them all in a chart is a bit too much so I have sorted the countries into regions. So Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia. What I would like to show is that the chart shows the margins of all regions (coming from Dim_Countries[Region]) together, but when the user select a region in the filter the chart shows the country (coming from Dim_Countries[Country]) of the selected region. 

I have something fimiliar with quantities and amounts with Selected value but then I need to do a calculation. now it has to choose between two fields with names (Dim_Countries[Region] or Dim_Countries[Country]). How can I set this?

I've tried this with parameters and that work but now the users need to switch from regions to countries manually. So they have to select a region and change the view to countries manually. How can I set this automatically when the users select a region?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Barthel
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @RJV83,
This is possible by creating a table in which the regions are columns and the rows are countries. And then create a field parameter on it. I used the following sample data:

Dim_Countries:

CountryRegionSales

1A8
2A12
3A54
4B21
5B76
6B32
7B89
8B21
9C40
10C4

Dim_Region:
Region

A
B
C

Dim_Country_Region (combination table in which you indicate per country to which region it belongs. You could create this table dynamically in M ​​by pivoting the region column in the countries table):

CountryABC

4 4 
5 5 
6 6 
7 7 
8 8 
9  9
10  10

Field paramter (refer to the general region column and call it 'All'. And select all the region columns from the combination table underneath):

Parameter = {
    ("All", NAMEOF('Dim_Region'[Region]), 0),
    ("A", NAMEOF('Dim_Country_Region'[A]), 1),
    ("B", NAMEOF('Dim_Country_Region'[B]), 2),
    ("C", NAMEOF('Dim_Country_Region'[C]), 3)
}

This is how the models looks:

Barthel_0-1670851144573.png

Use the field parameter as a slicer. And also place the field parameter on the x axis of a visual.

'All' selected:

Barthel_1-1670851171785.png

When you select one region:

Barthel_2-1670851281935.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RJV83 

You can create field paramater and put the paramater to the axis, you can refer to the following link:

Solved: Re: How to dynamically calculate the percentage fo... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Barthel
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @RJV83,
This is possible by creating a table in which the regions are columns and the rows are countries. And then create a field parameter on it. I used the following sample data:

Dim_Countries:

CountryRegionSales

1A8
2A12
3A54
4B21
5B76
6B32
7B89
8B21
9C40
10C4

Dim_Region:
Region

A
B
C

Dim_Country_Region (combination table in which you indicate per country to which region it belongs. You could create this table dynamically in M ​​by pivoting the region column in the countries table):

CountryABC

4 4 
5 5 
6 6 
7 7 
8 8 
9  9
10  10

Field paramter (refer to the general region column and call it 'All'. And select all the region columns from the combination table underneath):

Parameter = {
    ("All", NAMEOF('Dim_Region'[Region]), 0),
    ("A", NAMEOF('Dim_Country_Region'[A]), 1),
    ("B", NAMEOF('Dim_Country_Region'[B]), 2),
    ("C", NAMEOF('Dim_Country_Region'[C]), 3)
}

This is how the models looks:

Barthel_0-1670851144573.png

Use the field parameter as a slicer. And also place the field parameter on the x axis of a visual.

'All' selected:

Barthel_1-1670851171785.png

When you select one region:

Barthel_2-1670851281935.png

Oh thanks a lot this works. I only have one issue with this method. I now see the others as blank in my chart.

So the total is always the same (total of the entire world). 

Capture.JPG

I think this has to do with the Dim_Country_Region where country 4 belongs to region B but not to region A or C. if A is selected he shows the figures of 1, 2, 3 and blank (which is 4 till 10). In the table these fields (4 till 10) are 'null' for region A. But I have no idea how to get rid of the 'others' in the chart. 

Hey @RJV83,

Yeah you are right. I think the easiest way to fix this is to filter the visual, where 'country' is not equal to 'Blank'. You can do this in the filter panel once you've selected the visal.

Hey @Barthel ,

The problem with this is that the (Blank) is depended for the region. So in the 'country' field there is no blank, only in the Region fields. But then when I select Americas and is not equal to blank the other regions will only show the total of americas as blank. So I can't take the Blank out of the visual by using the filter panel.

BUT I've found a solution with DAX.....I love DAX 

What I did for the blanks is to create a "If(Selectedvalue("  and then for each 'Order' in the parameter a calculation measure where I filter out the blank for that region. 

So:       IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Parameter'[Parameter order])=1, CALCULATE([Margin], FILTER(Dim_Country_Region,Dim_Country_Region[A]<>BLANK())),

IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Parameter' [Parameter Order])=2, CALCULATE([Margin], FILTER(Dim_Country_Region,Dim_Country_Region[B]<>BLANK())),

IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Parameter' [Parameter Order])=3, CALCULATE([Margin], FILTER(Dim_Country_Region,Dim_Country_Region[C]<>BLANK())),

[Margin]))))

(hope this way, I made the DAX a bit readable/clear)

And that made the blanks disappear! 

So thanks for the solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.