Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Customizable trend analysis for both point-in-time and cumulative data elements (pbix included)

Link to pbix download:

https://childdevelop-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/dhu_childdevelop_ca/EUl_HgKyoO1NmjwY1F0PypcBDF...

In this sample dashboard, I included 3 sample data elements:

• # new referrals (cumulative)
  • # clients currently waiting for service (point in time)
  • average # days in service for active clients (point in time)

I need to create a trand analysis visual for each of these data elements (plan to use line graph for cumulative and bar graph for point in time). The end users would like the following features:

1. Customized date range and responsive point-in-time visuals: when users enter a start and end date (using a date slider slicer?), for example, if they enter 2021-04-01 to today, the "# clients currently waiting for service" visual will show number of clients that were waiting on 2021-04-01, 2021-05-01, 2021-06-01... etc. When a client is waiting on 2021-04-01, their referral date must be before or on 2021-04-01, and their start date must be after 2021-04-01.
  2. Customized date range and responsive cumulative visuals: when users enter 2021-04-01 to today, the "# referrals" visual will show number of cumulative referrals since 2021-04-01, this should be a trendline that always goes up
  3. If possible, have the option to switch between different time intervals (monthly, quaterly, yearly) for all the visuals. I think this could be achieved using date hierarchy and drill-down, but my end users tend to get confused by that and they want big buttons to click on. So another solution would be create separate visuals, and show/hide them using bookmarked buttons. Is there any other solution?
  4. The users want to be able to set the start date as any day of the month/quarter/year, and have the intervals fall on the same day. For example, if the interval is set to quarterly, and the user select "2021-03-02" as start date, the graph will show 2021-03-02, 2021-06-02, 2021-09-02, etc... if this is not possible, setting the dates to first day of the month/quarter/year within the selected time range is fine as well.

Thanks so much! I look forward to discussing this with everyone 🙂

1 REPLY 1
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

(1)For your first question ,the status of the calculated column [# clients waiting] you created has fixed “waiting”, in your data , when the status is waiting , the value of start date is null , so you cannot realize the scenario “When a client is waiting on 2021-04-01, their referral date must be before or on 2021-04-01, and their start date must be after 2021-04-01.” You can see the difference when I select date in Start Date slicer .

Ailsamsft_0-1642129733772.png
Ailsamsft_1-1642129733774.png

(2) For your second question,  from referral date 2021-04-01 , the number of cumulative referrals shows ups and downs, not always goes up .

Ailsamsft_2-1642129733778.png

(3)For your third question , you can try the bookmark button in Desktop , I have searched an operational documentation for you , you can refer to it .

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-add-button-using-bookmarks-in-power-bi/

(4)For your forth question , you can use EOMONTH() to return the first day of different month .For example :

Column = EOMONTH(services_breakdown[Referral Date],2)+1

Ailsamsft_3-1642129733779.png

I have attached my pbix file , you can refer to it .

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors