Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcoT
Frequent Visitor

Convert SAP BO measure with Foreach() operator to DAX formula

Hi I'm pretty new to SAP BO and I'm trying to convert a measure that I've found in a report to DAX language.

The foruma uses the context operator FOREACH() on two columns ([Data].[KPI Group] and Data].[KPI Name] ) and I don't know how to write it in DAX. Could you please help me figuring out?

Here's the code:

SUM( IF( [Not Available] FOREACH( [Data].[KPI Group];[Data].[KPI Name] )="Y" ) THEN 1 ELSE 0 )

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi:

Here is an example, with no ashortcuts, so you can see how it works.

. First you have your table of KPI data. Then you can add a Calc Col "Has Name"

Whitewater100_0-1650636095931.png

Then you create a measure to sum those with names.

Sum of KPI Name = SUM(Data[Has Name])
Here is a Card Visual:
Whitewater100_1-1650636189660.png

I hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for your answer. I've understood the sum as count part, but I didn't understand where my [Not Available] column is in your example...

The 3 columns are in the same table, so you can consider the SAP BO measure like this:

SUM( IF( [Not Available] FOREACH( [KPI Group]; [KPI Name] )="Y" ) THEN 1 ELSE 0 )

What I didn't understand is the bold part. The count part is ok, but what does the foreach with two arguments do in this case?

I paste some data for example:

Not AvailableKPI Name KPI Group
 XW
NOXW
YESXW
 YZ

NO

YZ
YESYZ
 VS
NOVS
YESVS

Hi: To help me understand a bit more.

In your example, there is a KPI (X) and KPI Group(W). The top three rows. What is the answer you want for the first three rows?

0, 0, 1 ?

Hi, let me explain better. I don't know what the result should be, because I don't know SAP BO logi  behind that formula. I'm just trying to replicate it to PowerBI so that I can understand what it does. My doubt is on the foreach operator with two arguments as a parameter and how can I translate it in DAX language. Does it check if the Not Available field has "Y" value for alle the combination of KPI Name and KPI Group? I don't know. Do you know?

Result 3 is grouping those two parameters then marking with a 1, if Not Available = YES.

That is how do to this in DAX. 

Hi:

OK, I think this is what you mean. You want to group the KPI Name & Group and then see if available. Here is two ways for a result like that. Result 3 is what I'd say you want. Then you can sum these results in a measure like shown prior. I hope this solves this one.

Result 3 =
var na = 'Table'[Not Available]
return
CALCULATE(IF(na = "YES",1,0)
,ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[KPI Group],'Table'[KPI Name ]))

Whitewater100_0-1650641728986.png

Result 2 is probably to simple based on what you say.

Result 2 =
var na = 'Table'[Not Available]
Return
CALCULATE(IF(na = "YES",1,0)
)

Hi, I tried your formula but [Not Available] is a table field, not a measure and I cannot assign it to a variable. I tried also to insert it in the IF condition but it cannot be accepted. Any other ideas?

Hi Marco:

A variable can be either a table field (e.g. Result3  var kpiname = Table[KPI name]

or it can be a measure.

var sales = [Total Sales].  When you write a variable in a measure and you want to relate to a table field, then the variables can look like this:

VAR KPIName = SELECTEDVALUE(Table[KPI Name]

I have explained how to group KPI Group & KPI Name in the way you presented your problem.(the problem is shown as a single table with three fields). 

Are you able to mark this as solved? If you have a different scenario with different data that can be a separate question with new data.

Thank you..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors