Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NewbiePBI
Frequent Visitor

Creating excel like cell-based dropdown in Power BI Table

Hi,

I am new to Power BI and was looking for ways to create a status update table in Power BI to track progress of certain tasks.

The table in excel would look like this

NewbiePBI_0-1665696365954.png

I want to create a similar table where I would be able to update the status in the visuals itself. Is that possible to do in Power BI?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 REPLY 1
MarkLaf
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Power BI is fundamentally for querying, transforming (queried data), and visualizing data and not modifying data sources. If you are looking for a simple way to achieve this, I'm not aware of any.

That said, you can somewhat get what you want with the Power App visual: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/canvas-apps/powerapps-custom-visual

The approach would be to develop a separate app in Power Apps that uses as its source the data you pull from the Power BI dataset it's embedded in (and any other you may desire). E.g. you could have a user select a row in a visual, pass a SharePoint item ID to the embedded app, in the app have a SharePoint edit item experience that the user can interact with all within a Power BI report.

We're getting out of scope of this forum, but I would suggest instead relying on this functionality in a system/tool/platform designed to handle CRUD operations (e.g. SharePoint, Smartsheet, even Excel, etc.), and then connecting that system with Power BI for reporting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors