Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

TobiTobsen
Regular Visitor

triggered dataflow refresh only refreshes linked entities

Hi everyone,

I need your help understanding triggering dataflows. Let's take a simple example:

Workspace 1:
 DF Data:
  - Table "Data" with one column "version" and data like, 1, 2, 3,...

Workspace 2:
 DF 1:

- Table "Trigger" with e.g. Timestamp = LocalDatetime.Now()
   => This table is my trigger. I want to refresh this DF scheduled and it should trigger a refresh of DF2.

DF 2:
  - Linked entity of Trigger (DF1) -> This table is triggered by refreshing DF1.
  - Linked entity of Data (DF Data)
  - Computed Entity of table Data with e.g. [version] + 1 (Data_Comp)

By refreshing DF1 the refresh of DF2 will start automatically because of the linked table "Trigger". But it will only refresh the linked Entity. My computed table Data_Comp stays unrefreshed until I refresh manually or sheduled the DF2.
Is there a way to refresh the whole DF2 by triggering only one table from DF1?

I found a workaround by loading the table Data in DF1 as linked entity (Data_LE). Additionally I need a loaded computed table of Data_LE in DF1. And then I can relate to this computed table from DF1 in DF2.
In my opinion this workaround creates a lot of redundant data. This might work for small Dataflows. But in our Dataflows with a lot of tables it slows everything down and the whole process gets unhandleable.
I also found a way with Power automate. But I would like to solve this in PBI. I am missing an option like "refresh only triggered tables" vs. "refresh the whole dataflow by triggered tables"...

Kind regards,
Tobsen

1 REPLY 1
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TobiTobsen 

as far as I known, there is no such function in Power BI Service, so refresh manually or schedule refresh maybe the best solution. I suggest you set an earlier schedule refresh on DF1, and a later schedule refresh on DF2, and ensure that DF1 completes the refresh before DF2.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution✔️ to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.