Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bonny666
Helper I
Helper I

result based on TODAY() is not being updated

In my source excel there's the following formula: 

=IF(Till="","",
IF(DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"y"), DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"y")&"y ","")&
IF(DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"ym"), DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"ym")&"m ","")&
IF(DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"md"), DATEDIF(Till,TodayDate,"md") &"d ",""))

TodayDate = Today()

The result of this formula is in my POWER BI report. It just a formula that shows how many days/months/years have passed between something in the cell next to it and today.

The problem is that when I run the report in PowerBI, it will not update the TODAY() it seems, so the result is showing wrong. if I will open the excel, it will recalculate it then and then I save  the excel and then refresh the report in PowerBI then it will be ok, but of course I don't want to do it every time I need to use this report..

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

From reading your description, you appear to have used Today() as part of a calculated column.  Calculated columns are only updated at the time of refresh, not during the usage of a report.

If you want a dynamically changing result, you would need to do this inside a Measure, or set your dataset to refresh once a day.

No, i don't use a calculated column.. how can I use a calculated column in PowerBI service?

I couldn't find the option..

Any reply on this?

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @bonny666 ,

According to your description, my understanding is that you are publishing the report to PowerBI Service, but the TODAY() function has not been refreshed on PowerBI Service, I would suggest you set the TODAY() data in the dataset, then it will be refreshed.

Best Regards,

Teige

I couldn't find the option.. I don't see any way to do any calculation in Power BI service

Yes, you identified the problem correctly 🙂

Can you please explain how to do it in the dataset? I don't see how to do it in PowerBI Service

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors