Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wilson_smyth
Post Patron
Post Patron

"Dedicated capacity is required when moving to production" - can i develop without premium capacity?

Powerbi documentation for embeded   & api usage states:

"Dedicated capacity is required when moving to production."
(From this documentation)

This raises the questions:

• can i develop a solution that uses premium capacity features, but without premium capacity, while its under development?
  • how would microsoft know if a solution is development or production?
    Up to now, when segregating development and production, we just use two separate workspaces, but theres nothing to indicate one is production or development besides the name.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

As far as I’m concerned, the reason why you need a capacity when moving your embed content to production is that the Embed Token that can be generated by non-capacity is limited. If you have a couple of users to access your embed content and you want the embed content to be used for a long time, you are suggested to purchase and assign a capacity to your production workspace.

Regarding how would Microsoft know if a solution is a development or production, I think this is the definition of the usage scenario on the user’s side. Microsoft cannot tell from the PBI perspective whether this workspace is a production environment or not. But the limitation is that you need a capacity for the production, which is explained in the official document:

Screenshot 2021-10-11 123450.png

Of course, these are not absolutes. For example, if the customer quantity is very small, the production environment has only one or two end-users, and they watch it once or twice a day, so you can use only the pro license to generate the token for a long time. In this case, it is also possible to not use capacity, but we cannot guarantee when this will suddenly reach the limit.

What’s more, regarding the advantage of the P SKU compared to other SKUs, I think that upgrading to the production environment requires a large number of unlicensed users to view the report. In this case, using a Premium capacity to support the embedded environment can solve the problem that all users can view the report.

For the technical support explanation in the official document, please refer to this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/move-to-production

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

In my opinion, yes. I think the only reason for this is that the Embed Token that can be generated by non-capacity is limited. And the production workspace is defined by customers instead of Microsoft. What’s more, the official document is aimed at the users of the Power BI Embed rather than the developer behind it, so such an explanation is needed in the document.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

wilson_smyth
Post Patron
Post Patron

Thanks for that, so to be clear, the documentaiton is not saying that there is capacity that can be used for Development that may cost less that capacity that is used for premium. they are just saying premium is required for embedding, and the word "production" in thier documentation is superflous.

Is this correct?

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

As far as I’m concerned, the reason why you need a capacity when moving your embed content to production is that the Embed Token that can be generated by non-capacity is limited. If you have a couple of users to access your embed content and you want the embed content to be used for a long time, you are suggested to purchase and assign a capacity to your production workspace.

Regarding how would Microsoft know if a solution is a development or production, I think this is the definition of the usage scenario on the user’s side. Microsoft cannot tell from the PBI perspective whether this workspace is a production environment or not. But the limitation is that you need a capacity for the production, which is explained in the official document:

Screenshot 2021-10-11 123450.png

Of course, these are not absolutes. For example, if the customer quantity is very small, the production environment has only one or two end-users, and they watch it once or twice a day, so you can use only the pro license to generate the token for a long time. In this case, it is also possible to not use capacity, but we cannot guarantee when this will suddenly reach the limit.

What’s more, regarding the advantage of the P SKU compared to other SKUs, I think that upgrading to the production environment requires a large number of unlicensed users to view the report. In this case, using a Premium capacity to support the embedded environment can solve the problem that all users can view the report.

For the technical support explanation in the official document, please refer to this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/move-to-production

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors