Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Ocyris
Frequent Visitor

"Couldn't load the data for this visual" only for some users - resolves when I access the report

Our organization has a report that is published to a workspace with four members with read access. Three out of those four members are reporting getting "Couldn't load the data for this visual" for most, but not all, of the visuals in the report. However, when I (the developer) opens the report in Services the visuals start working for these three users (for how long we have not tested).

The report and the semantic model are published to the same workspace. The semantic model is a composite model connected to several data sources. There is no RLS / OLS is implemented. We have isolated the problematic source to be an on-prem SQL Database with a connection through a data gateway. The gateway is running the latest version.

I have tested given one of the users admin access to the workspace, without any effect. Any suggestions to what the cause of this problem could be? 

4 REPLIES 4
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ocyris ,

I think the problem is the gateway, I guess the gateway is deployed on your computer, so it needs you to stay online. Or you haven't assigned other members access to your gateway.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @Ocyris ,

What data source is your report connected to? Does the report apply any RLS? And can it display properly in Power BI Desktop? There are many reasons that may cause this error, please check the following threads that have similar error messages to yours. Hope they can help you to solve the problem.

Couldn't load the data for this visual

I think your dataset has RLS, right?
If this is a case, you need to assign role to user to apply RLS filter, otherwise they will got this can't load data error.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

BTW, current RLS only works on read permission, so admin and dataset owner can see each records even if they not get RLS roles.

Service: "Couldn't load the data for this visual", Desktop: all fine

The issue was the date in this function. replacing 31.01. by 31/01 solved the issue.

Couldn't load the data for this visual

The problem was that I had finished my SQL query with semicolon;

When I removed the semicolon from the SQL query in advanced editor, the issue was resolved

Couldn't load data for this visual

You added build permissions to your shared dataset. Did you add build permissions to the dataset your dataset is sourced from? This typically explains this behavior for us, we build a Report B from Dataset A we must grant permissions at both sources.

could not load data for the visual

Refer to this post here. Your problem might be related. As suggested by the user trying changing data type of column in data source. If you think it is not related then perhaps open a support ticket with MS support.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Giobusi0101
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Ocyris It could be due the amount of rows being loaded to that specific visual, it works on Deskop version but when Published to the services it can overload the calculation and display that information.

Try to reduce the amound of columns or as a test, put top 10 and you will see the visual will work as fine so, you need to come up with a limitation of rows or use a matrix to reduce the amount of rows and add to categories.

As an exemple, I found this issue in one of my co-worker Report and I noticed everything was right but he was using a Switch in a measure, I changed that measure to a calculated column and worked fine, so it could be specific DAX that are doing heavy calculations to a measure as well.

Hello @Giobusi0101

Thanks for the suggestion, but if it was a problem with rows loaded, then the visual objects would also be failing when I'm consuming the report, and it never does. The problem is user specific, and resolves for these users temporaily when I open the report in Power BI Services (i.e. the visuals load as expected for the users). When I exit the report (after some time) the visuals start to throw the error "Couldn't load the data..." again. 

What could cause visuals to load data for some users only conditionally on the builder / administrator having the active report open in Power BI Services?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.